• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What can gray slaads do with their item creation feat?

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Gray slaads typically take "any one item creation feat."

However, they can't cast spells (they only have spell-like abilities) so what can they do with it? They can't fulfill item creation prereqs with Sp abilities, can they?

UltimaGabe

First Post
Well, there aren't many prerequisites for adding plus's to weapons or armor besides caster level, so Craft Magic Arms & Armor would be a good choice, I think. If they've got a caster level of at least 15, they can make a +5 sword and a +5 armor and shield. Do they have any ranks in Use Magic Device? If so, they could use a scroll of a spell they don't have as a Spell-Like ability to add abilities onto said weapons and armor (such as a scroll of Flame Blade to make a Flaming weapon, and so on).

Darkness

No UMD, alas. So caster level for Sp abilities can be used in item creation? Then it makes sense for them to have such a feat.

Well, who are the grey slaads allies of? You can always help another creature use his or her or its XP and spells to create items.

And don't grey slaads generally take levels in Wizard, gaining enough power to transmute themselves into Death Slaads?

Darkness

Hm, true. They like to take sorcerer levels. Unclassed gray slaadi can then help these sorcerers.

Hehe. I just wasn't looking at the big picture.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
UltimaGabe said:
If so, they could use a scroll of a spell they don't have as a Spell-Like ability to add abilities onto said weapons and armor (such as a scroll of Flame Blade to make a Flaming weapon, and so on).

More like six scrolls of Flame Blade.

-Hyp.

Li Shenron

Legend
Sorry for the question, but isn't "caster level X" a prerequisite for every item creation feat? Isn't that even a more serious requirement than having spells to cast? I mean, unless Slaads can take those feats without the prerequisites (or unless SLA grant a caster level, which I simply may not know...), how can they have the feats without levels in spellcasting classes?

Abisashi

First Post
Li Shenron said:
Sorry for the question, but isn't "caster level X" a prerequisite for every item creation feat? Isn't that even a more serious requirement than having spells to cast? I mean, unless Slaads can take those feats without the prerequisites (or unless SLA grant a caster level, which I simply may not know...), how can they have the feats without levels in spellcasting classes?

As I recall, the caster level requirements just tell you the caster level for items found in treasure hordes. They are not prerequisites.

Tatsukun

Danjin Masutaa
The caster level requirement to take the feat, is just that, a requirement. It's the same as needing a Dex of 13 to take 'Dodge'.

The CL listed for each magical item in the DMG is or isn't a requirement to make it (depending on which author / designer you ask and when you ask them).

-Tatsu

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads