• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are your thought on the Mystic Theurge?

Ravensblood

First Post
I'm just looking for some opinions on the Mystic Theurge (DMG) PRC. I was planning on playing one in an upcoming campaign and it has been disallowed by the DM. Having never played one and never seen anyone else play one, I don't know if it is actually unbalancing as the DM thinks. Thoughts and opinions?
My character will be starting as a Warmage 2/Cleric 1 and would have been WM4/Cl3 when I would have tried the PRC. I'm kinda stuck with that concept and can't see what other potential PRC's would be suitable to this kind of character. Any ideas out there?

Crothian

First Post
It is actually a little weak until you get levels under your belt. You get a lot of spells per day, but in your example you will be casting as a warmage three levels lower and cleric four levels lower then normal. When a cleric usually gets 5th level spells at 9th level, you'll just be getting third level spells.

Victim

First Post
It really only seems overly powerful if combined with other PrCs that alter the rate of spellcasting advance (like Ur Priest) or advance both sides at the same time. And it seems pretty weak at low to mid levels - being a level 4 warmage/level 3 cleric would pretty much suck, and even a few MT levels wouldn't help that much.

Nalfeshnee

Explorer
ive been an arcane hierophant before (same thing, but druid rather than cleric) and believe me - you'll never run out of spells per day :)

Teflon Billy

Explorer
When I first looked at it, it screaned "overpowered twinkfest" to me, but our own Hellhound actaully took it out for a spin in regualr play and outlined how it realy wasn;t the be-all and end-all.

He considered it playable, and his explanations convinced me.

Here is a thread where Hellhound and Glassjaw explain it better than I could.

The initial reaction from most people was that it was too powerful. However I haven't read about anyone that has seen the class played in-game complain that it was unbalanced. It reads a lot stronger than it plays.

Adam

Crothian

First Post
Teflon Billy said:
When I first looked at it, it screaned "overpowered twinkfest" to me, but our own Hellhound actaully took it out for a spin in regualr play and outlined how it realy wasn;t the be-all and end-all.

He considered it playable, and his explanations convinced me.

He also wrote a great PDF on the class with new versions of it.

It may be playable/balanced, but I still consider it excessively cheesy, since it allows a single character to cover virtually the entire spellcasting spectrum. I'm of the mind that the drawbacks of multiclassing really should apply to a character using both arcane and divine spell lists. The arcane caster/divine caster niches are two I feel should remain separate.

It's a pretty flavorless PrC, as is.

Odhanan

Adventurer
The mystic theurge has the huge advantage of the choice, but can only throw one of his spells at oponents per round. He also is uber-limited in well, everything else, HP, Skills and so on. It is absolutely balanced, and will fit some hermit, philosophical, contemplating types of characters more than others.

Remove ads