• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are you reading in 2024?

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
Currently in the midst of The Engines of God by Jack McDevitt and Diving Into the Wreck (novel version) by Kristine Kathryn Rusch.

Engines is a reread, and the book has all its old charms. It is a sad thing to think about what he guessed might be the climatological state of things in the early 2200s is actually largely true already. :( but I am always up for space archeology, mysterious alien legacies, and like that. Wreck is something I always meant to get to but didn’t until now. I completely love the translation of marine archeology and deep diving into the context of space.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Last three books: American by Day by Derek B. Miller, a sequel to Norwegian by Night, after I read the prequel (How to Make Your Way in the Dark) even though I haven't yet read Norwegian by Night, enjoyable sorta-crime novel, light-hearted on top, serious underneath; The Hard Stuff by David Gordon, sequel to The Bouncer, maybe a bit more quippy-witty than actually light-hearted, ends with things in unsustainable positions so there's clearly at least one more novel in the series; Ghost Eaters by Clay McLeod Chapman, a Horror novel with an interesting premise that ends up kinda burying itself in addiction narrative, not horrible but I wish it had been as interesting as the premise.

Last edited:

Finished Lord Dunsany's Don Rodriguez: Chronicles of Shadow Valley. It was excellent and breathtaking, but the world doesn't need me to tell it that Lord Dunsany is one of the greats. It's also not hard to see the servant Morano as a precursor to Samwise Gamgee.

Now I'm reading Bright Neon Futures: A Wholesome Cyberpunk Anthology. At not even 90 pages, it shouldn't take long.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
And done with newest Murderbot.
I should have read the wikipedia page with all the plots of the previous volumes. I was kind of lost. It doesn't help that Fugitive Telemetry is a prequel to Network Effect. But System Collapse is a sequel? I'll do that next time
Regardless, it was another great entry into the life-ish and times of SecUnit.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I came across it when I was looking up cozy cyberpunk literature. Yeah, it is a subgenre of...limited size. The Cybernetic Tea Shop by Meredith Katz is also on my list to check out.
I gotta say that "cozy cyberpunk" isn't a genre I would have expected to exist, but if people want to read it, I'm sincerely glad it does exist.

Remove ads