• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are the key thematic elements of the Druid Class?

HugeOgre

First Post
The subject line pretty well sums it up. I'm hoping for some input from the Enworld community on what is the quintessential elements of the druid class? What is the druid's magic missile?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Essential features:
- Different spell list outside vs. inside
- Shape shifting into animals
- Weapon and armor restrictions
- Divine magic (casting in armor)
- Highly situational spell list (generalization of first point)

- - -

Magic Missile = Entangle or Produce Flame.

Cheers, -- N

HugeOgre

First Post
I agree with all the answers so far, although im worried a power like entangle is problematic in 4th edition (heck, it was problematic in 3rd edition!)

Im not aware of any other powers that have the kind of wide range and immobolizing effect that the third edition entangle would suggest. Nor does it seem particularly balanced with the powers other classes get at 1st level.

While we're on the subject of balance, who thinks it might be appropriate / interesting to give the druid a little more power at the expense of knowing that MANY (but absolutely not all) of their powers would not function except in nature? Is the idea of them hating civilization and gaining their power through nature significant enough to warrant and substantiate that kind of power balancing, or is it going to just end up being more problematic and less fun for the player and group? Nifft alluded to different spell lists, which we dont get these days, so Im considering other ways to balance the class, and really make the druid shine in the outdoors (and conversely really HATE being indoors)

One of the things Ive considered as powers for the druid class are wild shaping (as a minor action) into a natural plant or animal of appropriate level as an encounter or daily power (again, as appropriate to the power of the form being assumed). Im considering using this instead of giving them a class feature like malcomb did in his class. There are some issues to be resolved with that kind of mechanic and power though. so, is that a good idea? bad idea? do you have a better idea?

Captain_Katan

First Post
I think we are looking as spells such as entangle to be a thing of the past. Reading up on wizards ideas for the druid it seems that they are going to take away from their usual spellcasting/healing abilities and are going to concentrate on the wildshaping. Their resoning is that they already have spellcasters and healers, but there isnt a good wildeshaping class availiable yet. There might be some abilities that you can use when not in animal form to make you want to stay in your original guise, but I dont see entangle coming back for another run this time.
Needless to say that it appears that the 4th edition druid will be less of a jack of all trades and more of a opportunist, with the ability to fill in either defender or striker possitions. Utility abilities will probibly be reserved for winged/tool shapes, and your daily powers will probibly be something along the lines of shaping into a more powerful form with a limited duration. They will probibly still retain their nature like abilities that make them great for outdoor adventures, but with wildshape as their primary power source you wont be seeing the old "can only do this spell in a wooded area" anymore, which will make them equally useful in a dungeon crawl/keep setting. For more information I recommend Races/Classes preview book for 4th edition.

generalhenry

First Post
I think we are looking as spells such as entangle to be a thing of the past.

I think you're wrong. Classes change, but there are limits.

I'm sure a wild shape focused druid will be an option.
But every implementation of druid has them as primary casters.

I expect them to be jack of all trade in a very similar way to 4E clerics.

4E clerics can melee attack, heal, buff, ranged attack and aoe damage.
I expect 4E druids to melee attack, heal, ranged attack, aoe damage and aoe control.

I do expect druids to be better at melee and worse at healing.
That's how the relationship between cleric and druid has always been.
Clerics are better healers and druids have had better offensive spells.

As evidence check saric's and malcolm_n's druid classes. They both have wildshape as a viable option, but in neither case is it the only option.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
range 10 burst 1 zone effect wis vs ref immobilizes targets. sustain minor.
This, or longer range, or larger area.

And in the spirit of 4E it works fine indoors.
Maybe. IMHO Druids are characterized by being environment-dependent.

The obvious way around this is to make each Daily power have two effects: one indoors, and a different (usually better) one outdoors.

Indoors, Entangle might turn into Warp Wood (-2 to weapon attacks of all foes in the area).

Cheers, -- N

generalhenry

First Post
IMHO Druids are characterized by being environment-dependent.

yeah... I have to agree there, but I don't think that aspect can really survive 4E.

make each Daily power have two effects

maybe. But really 4E really does strive for balance at all times.

Over powered outside and underpowered inside well...

Remove ads