• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Well, it looks like I've bought the gift set

GreyLord

Legend
I was thinking of getting another set of D&D books for a while now, but with the new Gift set that was coming out (Tasha's, Xanathar's and Mordekainen's) I decided to hold off until they were available. Just ordered them and they should be coming in later this week.

Anyone else bought them (Surely, someone else must have) and what are your thoughts thus far on them if you've gotten them already?

CharlesWallace

enworld.com is a reminder of my hubris
I thought the covers looked gorgeous, but I already have the original alt cover of Tasha's and Xanathar's both. I can't justify over $100 for 3 new alt covers. I'll just wait for the single new book to be released stand alone. Then I can look at it in a store and see if it's something I want.

Right now it doesn't really feel like it's enough new stuff for me. But who knows, I'm a lover of books :)

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I continued my years-long habit of buying the hobby store cover version to hopefully resell for a profit later.

My initial impression is that this gift set may well be the last such item worth buying for that purpose, just judging from the prices stuff is going for on the secondary market. The first two or three were rare enough to command big bucks, but now it seems everyone is onto the game.

GreyLord

Legend
I wonder if you'll end up with a set with the spelling error. I've seen pics of the set with the title Monnsters of the Multiverse on the spine.
Hmm, if I do I wonder if that will be worth extra money some time from now? Not that I'd sell, but it always fun to be able to brag you have such and such to someone else...well...sometimes at least.

I continued my years-long habit of buying the hobby store cover version to hopefully resell for a profit later.

My initial impression is that this gift set may well be the last such item worth buying for that purpose, just judging from the prices stuff is going for on the secondary market. The first two or three were rare enough to command big bucks, but now it seems everyone is onto the game.
I have to admit I haven't checked the going prices of things these days for anything 5e.

I bought it with some justification that I needed extra copies since my son essentially adopted the originals. Me being the eternal DM, it is nice to have all the monsters in a single book.

Niiice.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Hmm, if I do I wonder if that will be worth extra money some time from now? Not that I'd sell, but it always fun to be able to brag you have such and such to someone else...well...sometimes at least.
I doubt it. Remember, those books will likely be replaced in 2024 or shortly thereafter.

GreyLord

Legend
Having browsed through the set, there are some differences that I note.

The covers are different. It looks almost like the foil covers like the Core Rule set gift set had. I don't think that this cover will be on the general release for Monsters of the Multiverse, as I think the foil type cover was only on the Gift sets.

The Demonlords and Arch Devils...once again...have slightly different stats. The ones from OotA are still the strongest ones from what I see, but the HP totals in MotM have been pumped up slightly (so, in between MtoF and OotA).

Races have not ability bonuses anymore. It is all add +2 to one score and +1 to another. Alternatively, they can add +1 to any 3 ability scores. In my opinion, this inherently weakens humans as choice for race these days. They have a bunch of other abilities they can get as they desire. Lots of choices of races, including ones which I think only appeared in web supplements previously.

I like having so many Monsters in one book.

It really is basically races and monsters and nothing else. You lose everything else that was from Volo's and Mordekainen's if you only have this book. It's a great DM resource still, not sure if I would open the races up to PC's though. Maybe on a more limited basis.

Remove ads