Web Spell Question

Scupper

First Post
My players and I are having a lively discussion about exactly what the web spell does. It says that it must be anchored to two diametrically-opposed points and that it provides 1/4 cover for every 5 feet of affected area between you and the target.

Now, I have the following questions:

If the suitable anchor points are less than 40 feet apart, is the area of the web reduced?

If it's anchored to the ceiling, is the 20-foot-radius spread width and height (vertical) instead of width and length (horizontal)?

If it's vertical, how thick is it?

If it's horizontal, how high does it go?

Does it work in water? (I would say yes, but water obviously cannot serve as an anchor point).

What if you have a space like this:

A'''''''''B
|
C

(ignore the apostrophes, they're spacers)

Where B is a column or other single anchor point and A and C are points on a wall. If one end of the web is anchored at B, how do you figure out the webbed area (besides geometry)? Is it just a 20' radius spread from the center of the triangle ABC or is it a triangular web?

Many thanks for learned opinions.

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
The effect is a "20-ft.-radius spread" so I'd call it a rough sphere if there is enough room; probably more often like a hemisphere since you'd want the widest part at ground level.

As for the anchor points limiting the radius, that's a tough call; and not really covered in the spell description. Personally, I'd let the area of effect extend 5 or 10 feet past the anchor as the web stretches down to the floor. Heck, with even a single column on an otherwise flat plain, I'd let a web anchor to the top and tent out around the base. But maybe that's just me...

Xarlen

First Post
No, you can't use moving objects or unsteady spots as anchorpoints.

It used to tell you how *thick* the web was, in 2e. Yep, 3e now. ;)

As to your little geomatry sketch, I could see it sticking to C and B. Thus, you can hide behind it, or trap someone like that. Ever seen cobwebs constructed in a corner? There's a little room Behind them.

As to the web and the anchor points being too close, nah. I'm not that mean; it just spreads out along the roof and the floor, and likely sticks to other stuff.

Oracular Vision

First Post
The other odd ruling on Web I have seen is people thinking you can burn the whole web off like in 2nd edition, but all you can burn off is one square at a time...and people get confused about entering a web, and leaving it, i.e., being in the last layer of the web, do you still have to break out if you are adjacent to a cleared square?

Remove ads