• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Web-based Maptools-like program for PbP games?

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
I was just thinking how nice it would be, when playing in play-by-post games, to just log into a site, move you miniature on a game mat, save and exit. At any time, any player could go in a view the map and change their character's placement.

There are tools that allow this, like Maptools, but they require a live game. Is there a similar tool that would work better for play-by-post games that allow manipulation of the mat and saved states that can be accessed from any computer?

Seems like this is something that should exist. I looked into web-based "white boards", but functionality tends to be pretty limited in the ones I've found.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
I always found this to be a good site for that.

http://aoerat.com/dnd/map/dm.php

umm....

Reported Attack Site!

This web site at aoerat.com has been reported as an attack site and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack sites try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack sites intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.

DMFTodd

DM's Familiar
I don't understand your prerequisites, but I know there's a guy that uses kloogewerks in this way - leaves the game up all the time, players log-in, do their move, log-out.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
I don't understand your prerequisites, but I know there's a guy that uses kloogewerks in this way - leaves the game up all the time, players log-in, do their move, log-out.

That's what I want, but I'd rather not have to provide the server. If it worked like a messageboard or a Wiki, that'd be nice.

But yeah, I guess I could set up Maptools to do that.

azhrei_fje

First Post
One of the items on the Wall of Features for MapTool is turn-based movement. There's a lot of discussion on their forums about how that should work, but it is on the list for implement in 1.4 (Trevor is working to finish cleaning up 1.3b35 so that 1.4 can be started).

You may want to login over there and check to see what progress has already been made, then post your $0.02 about how you would like to see it work.

It would seem to me that there would need to be some kind of built-in order so that when a player logs in to the server, they can't take their movement yet if it's not their turn.

Although... Combat is supposed to be simultaneous. Imagine if the MapTool server allowed everyone to move their tokens and take their actions without seeing anyone else's moves?! When the GM logs in, they can resolve the round in order by initiative, but all movement would already have happened! Heh-heh, that might be an interesting implementation!

Emirikol

Adventurer
Exactly. More votes over there go a long ways towards features like that on maptools. Those guys are all volunteers so they focus on what people like.

jh

AoErat

First Post
Hey guys, just a note. I'm the owner of the url given earlier in this thread for the web-based map.

Apparently the site was hacked and malicious code was inserted (iframes directing to dangerous sites) and this of course resulted in the URL being blacklisted. I'm going through the Google process to get that undone. My apologies for the inconvenience.

I have another server I can put the site on if people would still like to use it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads