• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

weapon speeds

Shadowdragon

Explorer
The way I figure it is that each combat round in the D20 system is made up of multiple combat maneouvers performed by all combatants. The actual attack roll represents the character trying to create and/or take advantage of an opening in an opponent's defences. Initiative determins who can act on an opening first (which means that initiative should really be rolled every round). Multiple attack rolls due to high combat skill represent the ability to create and/or take advantage of multiple openings in a round. So, my question is, does a weapon's weight and balance effect how quickly you can act on openings (modifying initiative), how many openings you can make in a combat round (gaining additional attacks at a faster or slower rate), how well you take advantage of openings (giving an attack bonus or penalty), or something else? Or would the weight, size, and balance of weapon all cancel each other out and have no effect on creating and taking advantage of openings in an opponent's defences?

i think it does have been thinking of useing and mode for weapon speeds somethink like 2 e may have to work on that good balnace is a + BAD A - yeah really something i need to look up again

Kalshane

First Post
The speed of a weapon is only a small part of a weapon's effectiveness in combat. A trained warrior is going to understand his weapon's strengths and weaknesses. Also, how fast you can swing a weapon really doesn't mean that much if you can't strike your target with it. Sure a dagger moves faster than a long sword, but the guy with the longsword also has 2-3 feet of reach on the guy with the knife, which means he can hit the dagger wielder while he tries to close the distance.

Plus, the guy with the longsword can swing it a lot faster than you might think. Actual medival weaponry is very well-balanced and is a lot lighter than the stats in the PHB would suggest. Weapon speeds is one of those rules that was wisely left behind in the move to 3rd Ed.

Shadowdragon

Explorer
But what about weapons like axes and maces? Heavy, unbalanced weapons like these aren't as fast as a well-balanced sword. Plus, you have to fight against a lot more momentum with an axe or mace compared to a sword. Will that difference effect combat, or is too minor to have any effect?

gamecat

Explorer
I think weapon speeds are a bad idea, personally.

Large slow weapons tend to have reach.

Small, quick weapons do not.

I'd say that the above factors cancel each other out, largely.

Rhun

First Post
Shadowdragon said:
But what about weapons like axes and maces? Heavy, unbalanced weapons like these aren't as fast as a well-balanced sword. Plus, you have to fight against a lot more momentum with an axe or mace compared to a sword. Will that difference effect combat, or is too minor to have any effect?

Have you ever handled a medieval battle-axe or mace or warhammer? I assure you, they are not "heavy" or unwieldy in any way. They are just as well balanced (and in some cases lighter) as (than) a sword.

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
I agree with others here in that I think weapon speeds are in D&D are a bad idea.

However, I could definitely see a rule for weapon length. Something like a weapon with longer reach granting a +2 circumstance bonus to attacks and/or AC. Even a skilled opponent with a dagger would really think twice about going into a fight against a guy swinging a greatsword.

Rhun

First Post
Hammerhead said:
That would pretty much gimp any non-greatsword wielder. As if there wasn't enough reason to use one.

True enough...if you were going to use a rule like this, you would have to have a rule to bolster shields as well.

sirwmholder

First Post
Just wanted to point out something that may help the OP... the EverQuest Player's Handbook deals with weapon speeds in 3.0... the idea is attack progression is similiar to D&D and a perfectly well balanced weapon can be used in a double attack at a -5 of your BAB however the larger / unweildly weapons or rusted weapons may cause your second attack to be at a higher disadvantage such as -7 or -8.

Perfect balanced weapon -5 second attack
+6/+1 ( Standard D&D )
+7/+2
+11/+6/+1

Rusted weapon -7 second attack
+8/+1 ( notice the delay in skill before you gain a second attack )
+9/+2
+15/+8/+1

Tracking this can be a pain... personally I just assume all weapons are perfectly well balanced and use the Core Rules :)

Thank you for your time,
Wm. Holder

Remove ads