• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E We Would Hate A BG3 Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dausuul

Legend
When I first stated BG3 I had no idea some barrels can explode, it would have meant I could won an encounter instead of having to restart the game due to a save game loop trapping me in the encounter.
Beating the enemy adventuring party in the early game got so much easier when I realized there was a way to engage them next to a couple of oil barrels.

These days, any time I see a barrel of any substance, it goes straight to camp.

ezo

Where is that Singe?
no, you really don’t have any authority to tell them what to play, that is a lot stronger wording than I would use
Fine, maybe you don't... But I do. ;)

I lost this and finally found it to replay to, but... what? Are you being forced to DM against your will? IF you don't want to DM, then... like stop. No one benefits from someone forcing themselves to run a game. Ever been to a show where the performer clearly hates doing it? Same deal.
Well, there are many times when if I don't DM... no one plays, including me. I often run a DMPC (typically a scout) so I get to play -- sort of.

Regardless, even though I'm not thrilled about DMing much of the time, I still put my all into it. I don't "hate doing it", I would just like it if more than me and one other person were the DMs all the time. 🤷‍♂️

For example I was playing a Rogue and was using cunning action a lot and the Warlock in the party asked the DM if he could change the rules so he could dash or hide as a bonus action too. Then later in game he asked the DM if he could get back a spell slot in the middle of the fight because he had no slots and wanted to cast a spell and then in a middle of another fight he asked if he could call on his patron and cast a spell he didn't know.
Wow, that's crazy... I (as DM) would just suggest the player make a new PC that actually can do what the player wants.

pemerton

Legend
You don't care what races are introduced to your campaign as far as I can tell.
I've not posted anything about what races are played in my campaigns.

I've posted four examples: Gandalf (the player suggested that Gandalf be a woman; I expressed a preference for orthodoxy - ie Gandalf is a man; the player accepted that); Golin (I incorporated the explosives obsession and associated cult into the game); Fea-bella (not the silliest name in Greyhawk); the paladin of the Raven Queen who sleeps standing up (the player suggested it; I accepted the suggestion).

pemerton

Legend
So are we all OK with the idea that games have premises? Because to me a game having some sort of a premise seems rather normal. And it also seems rather obvious to me that not every character idea is suitable for any premise.
To me, the idea of a game's premise being everything in my folder of notes I've built up over the past few decades is true, and nothing else is allowed, seems a rather extreme premise! Especially if the players aren't allowed to peruse the folder of notes.

I've never played a game where the world was designed by a committee. It's always been a campaign based in FR or some established homebrew.
Isn't Forgotten Realms a paradigm of "designed by a committee"?

A point you allude in an example to is the main reason I think the DM should make the final call on this stuff (making the calls on rules is slightly different). If the DM isn't enthusiastic about running a game, it won't be a good game.
If a player is not enthusiastic about playing their PC, it won't be a good game either!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads