• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Way of the Four Elements in actual play?

I've seen multiple comments to the effect that the W4E monk is underpowered or otherwise mechanically problematic, but I've done no real in-depth analysis myself. I'm curious what the reasoning on that is, and--particularly from those who have actually played one or seen it played--whether said concerns are legit.

Xeviat

Hero
I'll be the first to say I haven't seen it in play. But, I have seen people who have chosen to not play it, even though it was thematically up their alley. That's a problem in itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

Sunseeker

It's FUN. Hecka FUN. If you liked Avatar: The Last Airbender (the cartoon, not the movie). It's not well tuned, it's totally underpowered, but man, if you like fantasy kung-fu and element bending, it's awesome. You are NOT a spellcaster. You are a basic monk with some neat tricks.

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
I have a player who made his gnome monk an elemental one. He is having so much fun with it. Mechanically is been working very good as well.

I don't think it deserves the bad reputation it gets. The EK really turned out to be grear in actual play. I'd like to see one of the wlemental monks in action.
Just a reminder: Non spells have no ki spending limit by RAW so there may be serious alpha strikes going on.

S

Sunseeker

In what way? There are certain sorts of "underpowered" I'm happy to play, and others that frustrate me. :eek:

What are the specific issues?

It burns through Ki points like nobody's business for mostly sub-par results and lacks a real capstone ability.

Henry

Autoexreginated
One of my players has an Elements Monk and has great fun with him on both a roleplaying and combat perspective:

1) he used Elemental Attunement to shape handholds into a cliff face. He argued and I reasoned that the wording allowed this, and I have him Advantage on the Athletics check to climb it.

2) Fist of Unbroken Air he has used to great advantage - unless you are facing off against a Dragon or Giant, even things with decent high Strength have a good chance at failure, and the heavy damage plus prone is nothing to sneeze at.

Given that the end goal is several really good wizard spells, I dont see it as overpowered.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Yeah, if you compare the elemental powers to a simple flurry of blows, it seems like usually fob will net you more damage for your ki. And then compare to open hand and the riders the get for free.

Satyrn

First Post
Yeah, if you compare the elemental powers to a simple flurry of blows, it seems like usually fob will net you more damage for your ki. And then compare to open hand and the riders the get for free.
If that's the case, then I would choose utility disciplines and consider my increased versatility my strength over an open hand monk.

Remove ads