• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Warlock cantrips

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
That'd be the issue. Their 'plain language' is as plain as putting on a silly French accent with a mouthful of marbles.

Their absolute terror at getting called 'boring' or 'analytical' for stating rules clearly and properly tagging things is to their detriment.
I'm sorry. This makes no sense.

The spells in question are properly tagged. They are not on either list (2014, 2024) that a Warlock gets access to

Then why are they using an existing term (cantrip) to mean something different?
They aren't. The definition of a Cantrip is a "0-level" at-will spell.

The base term "cantrip" is not defined by who can cast it. There can be Arcane, Divine, and Primal cantrips, there can be class-specific cantrips, (like Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard, and more), and there can be Pact Cantrips. Heck, I would be fine if spellcasting subclasses at 3rd level got specialized subclass cantrips and spells.

One does not need to assume the worst that it will be confusing. We're not even halfway through the playtest and the designers are motivated to clean it up and have it make sense. We just need to provide our feedback.

Vaalingrade

Legend
One does not need to assume the worst that it will be confusing. We're not even halfway through the playtest and the designers are motivated to clean it up and have it make sense. We just need to provide our feedback.
I'm not assuming confusing, just poorly thought out and with no stated reasoning behind it.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It’s in a official book they say is compatible and says warlock cantrip…I don’t understand why people don’t understand how that can be read as “a cantrip a warlock can take”
I do understand that. What I don’t understand is the insistence that it’s ambiguous in an actual rules sense, or why you’re now seemingly trying to use your initial misunderstanding to say that there is a compatibility issue.
But if enough people say “don’t worry NOBODY could make that mistake” why would they fox it?
All it takes is a statistically significant number of people who are confused, and they all six
They aren't. The definition of a Cantrip is a "0-level" at-will spell.

The base term "cantrip" is not defined by who can cast it. There can be Arcane, Divine, and Primal cantrips, there can be class-specific cantrips, (like Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard, and more), and there can be Pact Cantrips. Heck, I would be fine if spellcasting subclasses at 3rd level got specialized subclass cantrips and spells.

rheyve explicitly said that toward the end they’re going to change focus to taking all the things we like and making sure it remains compatible with the existing game.

Like…there just isn’t any reason to assume that the 2024 PHB will cause this sort of confusion, nor reason to expect the playtest to be free of such confusions. 🤷‍♂️

HammerMan

Legend
I do understand that. What I don’t understand is the insistence that it’s ambiguous in an actual rules sense, or why you’re now seemingly trying to use your initial misunderstanding to say that there is a compatibility issue.
Tbh I am just pushing to change them from warlock cantrips to
A) pact cantrips or B ) warlock class features.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Tbh I am just pushing to change them from warlock cantrips to
A) pact cantrips or B ) warlock class features.
Yeah that’s fine I’m just saying it’s not a compatibility issue, it’s just somewhat unclear playtest language.

My preference would be to keep them cantrips, but level gate taking a second and then third cantrip, OR make them invocations and taking a second one is gated until level 5, 3rd one gated to level 11. Something like that. I could be talked into 11 and 15, probably.

Remove ads