• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warden vs Carrion Crawler

fnwc

Explorer
Hi,

I have a question involving progressive saves (where failing the first save applies new effects, etc) such as the one on the carrion crawler.

Do alternative saves given to a player allow the progression to happen faster if you're given multiple saves? For example, would failing the Warden granted save progress the failed save mechanic? Other examples include heal checks, various cleric powers, etc.

FireLance

Legend
The short answer is no. Only the normal save you get at the end of your turn counts for the purposes of a "Failed saving throw".

It's detailed more fully in PH2, but I'm away from my book now and I don't have a reference. EDIT: Page 219, second column, at the top. It seems to be the same as the text quoted below.

The DDI Compendium does have this to say, though:
Failed Saving Throw: Sometimes an effect changes as a target fails saving throws against it. The new effect, specified in a "First Failed Saving Throw" or a "Second Failed Saving Throw" entry, takes effect after the target fails a saving throw against the previous effect at the end of the target's turn. The effect doesn't change if the creature fails a saving throw against it at a time other than the end of its turn.​

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads