D&D 5E War Never Changes: Fallout Inspired Post Apocalyptic Campaign?

Lalato

Adventurer
Cheers any recommendations? I recognize 2 or 3 names.
For a Fallout/Gamma World feel I would stick with the ones that have the additional sci-fi or modern keyword. Those will at least have some analogs to the type of equipment, weapons, and monsters from a nuclear event. A combination of Wasteland Worlds, 2099 Wasteland, and Delta World might pull it off.

Last edited:

R18 Hmmmnn

View attachment 359614

Well after the TV show there's a fair bit of interest in the FO universe.

Thinking of a post apocalyptic sitting inspired by Fallout into Darksun goes into the to hard basket.

Very early brainstorming but thinking.

1. Heavy use of exhaustion mechanic.

2. Magitech. Artificer, power armor.

3. Power armor is magical heavy armor with Gauntlets of ogre power and double carrying capacity effect. T-45 is +1 chainmail, T-51 +1 full plate, t-60 +2 full plate, X-01 +3 full plate. Each set can have 2 upgrades eg advantage on perception checks, resistance to xyz damage.

4. Fallout can be magical in nature.

5. Aberrations and monstrosity thenes monsters with humanoids as raiders.

6. Factions.
Why do Fallout when you could do Wasteland, The OG Fallout?

Zardnaar

Legend
Wasteland was the original post-apoc game created by Interplay. Fallout exists because EA wouldn't let them make Wasteland 2.

I'm aware. Haven't played it, seen it or familiar with it.

PCs were very much upper middle class thing here in 90s.

Buy an Amiga or PC vs 6 months rent. $2000 dollars. My first job was $22 ($11-13 usd approx) a day. NZD.

School had them but they were early 80s ones (in early 90s).

Reynard

Legend
It's not. Wasteland 3 blows FO4 out of the water in terms of quality.
We weren't talking abut FO4 or WL3. We were talking about Wasteland and OG Fallout. OG Fallout is superior in almost every way.

FO4 and WL3 are not comparable. They a en't the same kind of game, even a little bit. it is a false comparison. If you want to compare WL3 to something, compare it to Encased or Atom RPG.

I would say that the main difference between the Wasteland and Fallout games is that in the Wasteland Games you create a party (don't know about Wasteland 1) whereas in the Fallout games it's a single main character (+companions).

Other differences: Fallout protagonist is often (but not always) a vault dweller, and therefore initially ignorant of the surface world, whereas the the Wasteland party are Rangers, and therefore some familiarity with the world is assumed.

But the world is very similar, down to having some of the exact same locations (e.g. Griffith Observatory).

A difference with Gamma World is that the apocalypse is supposed to have occurred in the somewhat distant future, so there is more sci fi tech knocking around. And sentient mutant animals are a PC option, at least in some editions. Like the others, it has also been known to use real world locations. I suspect a Planet of the Apes influence.

Not really an RPG, but I will mention the Mad Max/Deathrace inspired Car Wars by Steve Jackson games.

The Apocalypse is a busy place!

Last edited:

Remove ads