• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vote for your Forgotten Realms!

Which new launch of the Forgotten Realms would you choose?

• Classic Forgotten Realms: the era of the original Gray Box [1357 DR]

Votes: 62 56.9%
  • The Forgotten Realms as it was originally conceived by Ed (ie. not TSR's version) [1357 DR?]

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Continue the existing timeline of 4E FR [c. 1479 DR]

Votes: 27 24.8%
  • Have a world shaking event that returns Maztica and other lost lands. Advance timeline [c. 1489 DR]

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Spellplague Era: the campaign start date is only 10 years after the Spellplague. [1395 DR]

Votes: 7 6.4%

Shazman

Banned
Banned
I picked the grey box era, but I really wanted them to just continue the 3.0/3.5 timeline a bit without the stupid spellplague. Unfortunately, you didn't put that as an option. In other words, pretend the spellplague didn't happen. I don't care how they do it, but getting rid of the spellplague and all of it's consequences would be the only thing that would make me interested in FR again.

Dedekind

Explorer
I would say the 100ish year jump is the most difficult part to get around. If the question was "you're the brand manager, how would you have done the 4e launch?", I would probably keep the Realms Shaking Event but only jump it 10 years. Keeps favorite NPCs around or at least relevant, but gives room for Dragonborn and other changes.

If the question was "you're the brand manager, what would you do next with it?", I would almost assuredly advance the 4e timeline about 10 years. Re-hashing old material doesn't add a lot of value.

As a middle road, I might consider a FR NPC guide for the new edition that details NPCs from the past and present incarnation of the realms.

Lord Xtheth

First Post
I would love to see FR DURING the spellplague. Magic is dangerous and explosive... sometimes even deadly. The veil between material and etherial is shaky and unstable. Strange things poor out of the aether or dissapear into it. Everyone is frightened, panicked, and otherwise scarred of the future and what it might hold.
Because of the death of a god, all faith is shaken and worship is becomming less common. New gods rise and fall like heroes in a dungeon crawl, and devine magic hold a higher place of respect within Faerun.
Generally I'd make Forgotten Realms a world of chaotic magic, random astral and magical events, The "names" of the realms wouldn't be there because they are dealing with all the BIG crap coming into the world and tearing reality apart. It would be a world of strange new monsters, Living spells, corrupting magics, and all arround excitement and intrigue.

delericho

Legend
Box it. FR is fairly tapped out, Spellplague was too divisive to really allow for another Realms Shaking Event so soon, and prequels suck.

In ten years, dig out the source material and do a full-fledged reboot, paying homage to all the best of the Realms, but unafraid to leave out your favourite bit. (The reboot would probably look a lot like the old Grey Box in terms of scope for DM expansion, so I've voted for that. Although my personal preference out of the existing versions is the 3e mega-book, without the supplements.)

Zaran

Adventurer
I picked Grey Box as well. I thought a GM could research alot of useful info from the books in it and had the room to do what they wanted. One of the best parts about the set was the index system.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads