• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vorpal Crits

Vempyre

Explorer
DLichen said:
Did you just define a phrase with the same phrase?

Best Dictionary Ever :D

The last part is an example not a definition, hehe

Edit : but yea, some dictionaries are better than others. But we all know what "rather than" means and what's it's used for. We don't really need a dictionary for that as it's a very common usage.

Last edited:

Andur

First Post
Vempyyre, that is fine, just make sure not to add feat, enhancement, power, unnamed or any other types of bonuses to critical hit damage either, in otherwords you are saying the examples given in the PHB are all wrong when they give out critical damage.

In this case, "rather than" means, "rather than waste 2 hours of your life rolling until you get maximum damage on the dice..."

Last edited:

DLichen

First Post
I have no idea where you're coming from besides pure stubborness.

Damage roll is clearly completely separate from rolling damage. Stop trying to ignore parts of the rules you don't like.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I'd hate to see the tempers in this thread flare to the point of somebody getting banned. I mean normally that would be fine but I'm in a really good mood today.

melkoriii

First Post
I read it like this

On a Crit Max the [W] add stat+feat+other
Roll bonus die from Vorpal (6d12) and from Feats or High Crit weapon stat
If a die comes up max roll it again.

THen add all the damage together for your total.

ex.

Vorpal Falchion (2d4) with Str +3 and Crit Feat (+1d10)
Crit on a 2[W] power =

16+3 = 19
Roll 6d12 reroll any max die
Roll 1d10 reroll if max
Roll 1[W] from High Crit and reroll any max die

add the rolls to 19 = total damage

Caliban

Rules Monkey
melkoriii said:
I read it like this

On a Crit Max the [W] add stat+feat+other
Roll bonus die from Vorpal (6d12) and from Feats or High Crit weapon stat
If a die comes up max roll it again.

THen add all the damage together for your total.

ex.

Vorpal Falchion (2d4) with Str +3 and Crit Feat (+1d10)
Crit on a 2[W] power =

16+3 = 19
Roll 6d12 reroll any max die
Roll 1d10 reroll if max
Roll 1[W] from High Crit and reroll any max die

add the rolls to 19 = total damage

That's the way I read it as well.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
So here's my question.

Let's assume for the moment that hong and Andur are correct - the [W] dice maximised by the critical are considered to have been rolled, and thus trigger the Property line in Vorpal.

We 'roll' our initial 2d8, and due to the magic of criticals, they both come up 8. Property kicks in, and we get to roll another 2d8.

The results of these dice are added to the damage total, and they are not "damage as the result of a critical hit" - I'd have gotten to roll these two dice again whether or not I'd rolled a critical, as long as they came up 8s. Since they are not "damage as the result of a critical", they are subject to maximising effect of the critical, and they both come up 8s. Which means Vorpal kicks in again, and I get to roll 2d8 again, and I get two more 8s.

Result? Just like in 3E, a critical with a Vorpal weapon kills, since the critical deals the maximum possible result - infinite damage - plus 6d12.

-Hyp.

Branduil

Hero
I find it a bit ironic that 4e was supposed to simplify criticals when it seems they are more complicated than ever when you try to maximize their potential.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads