• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vitality/Wound points and 3rd edition

coreyclark

First Post
After playing Star Wars, I really like the idea of Vitality and Wound points. Has anyone come up with or thought about or seen any way to transition this into D&D(specifically for the monster manual) or D20 modern?

Thanks.

cc

Aaron2

Explorer
coreyclark said:
After playing Star Wars, I really like the idea of Vitality and Wound points. Has anyone come up with or thought about or seen any way to transition this into D&D(specifically for the monster manual) or D20 modern?

One thing to keep in mind is that you are essentially giving Con hit points to all the monsters. Thus the difference between a 2 hit point kobold and a 16 hit point Bugbear become much less. (i.e. the bugbear will end up with 2 times the kobold's hit points instead of 8 times). Plus it also makes Cleaving much more difficult.

Other than that .....

Aaron

Ranger REG

Explorer
coreyclark said:
Guidelines:

1. Hit Die becomes Vitality Die.
2. Wound Point = Con score
3. Undead: No WP (they're immune to critical hits). All damage goes to VP.
4. Weapons: No critical hit multiplier (goes to the already low WP). Those with x2, leave threat range as is. Those with more than x2, increase threat range by one.

Aaron2

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
Guidelines:

1. Hit Die becomes Vitality Die.
2. Wound Point = Con score
3. Undead: No WP (they're immune to critical hits). All damage goes to VP.
4. Weapons: No critical hit multiplier (goes to the already low WP). Those with x2, leave threat range as is. Those with more than x2, increase threat range by one.

Using VP/WP doesn't necessarily mean the you have to do #4. You can use VP/WP and still use the D&D critical hit system. You might want to anyway, but at least consider the ramifications.

Aaron

Ranger REG

Explorer
Aaron2 said:
Using VP/WP doesn't necessarily mean the you have to do #4. You can use VP/WP and still use the D&D critical hit system. You might want to anyway, but at least consider the ramifications.
As I said, these are guidelines. Personally I would consider the ramification as it will raise the level of mortal danger in your game.

Last edited:

AeroDm

First Post
Another option for the critical dilemma is to simply have only one multiplier go onto wounds, while the remaining go to vitality.

For isntance, a longsword would deal 1d8 + modifiers to wounds as well as 1d8 + modifiers to vitality. An axe would deal 1d8 + modifiers to wounds as well as 2d8 + 2x (modifiers) to vitality.

This makes it less lethal overall (or perhaps survivable) while still retaining the flavor of axes vs swords.

Remove ads