• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Variant rules for writing spells into spellbooks?

Xar666

First Post
From the SRD:

Writing a New Spell into a Spellbook

Once a wizard understands a new spell, she can record it into her spellbook.

Time: The process requires 1 day plus 1 additional day per spell level. Zero-level spells require 1 day.

Space in the Spellbook: A spell takes up 2 pages of the spellbook per spell level (so a 2nd-level spell takes 4 pages, a 5th-level spell takes 10 pages, and so forth). A 0-level spell (cantrip) takes but a single page. A spellbook has 100 pages.

Materials and Costs: Materials for writing the spell (special quills, inks, and other supplies) cost 100 gp per page.

Note that a wizard does not have to pay these costs in time or gold for the spells she gains for free at each new level. The wizard adds these to her spellbook as part of her ongoing research.

Does anyone use variant rules for this process that aren't so steep?

Any ideas?

mikebr99

Explorer
Adverturing mages (lots of travelling) are better off with the 'attuning a spellbook' rules from MoF.. it takes time, but doesn't cost anything to study anothers spellbook enough so that you can memorize spells out of it as well as your own.

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Xar666 said:

Any ideas?

Yep. And yep.

It's verging into house rules, but you might find this URL interesting:
http://patriot.net/~glurker/OLERRA/HouseRules/Magic.html#Learning

It's based on earlier conversations I had on this board (way back in the days it was Eric's). It's a little less expensive that MoF's version (which is another good alternative), but a little more restrictive as well. I think it makes more sense, but then, I would. :)

Vanye

Explorer
Xar666 said:

Any ideas?

No, but I have toyed with some ideas to help a wizard reduce the number of pages a spell takes.

Profession (Scribe).

With a successful scribe check, a wizard can reduce the number of pages a spell takes in his spellbook.

DC= 15 + spell level + <# of pages the caster is trying to subtract>

Note: This cannot reduce the # of pages to less than 1/spell level.

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
Re: Re: Variant rules for writing spells into spellbooks?

kreynolds said:

Stick with the rules. They work just fine. :D ;)
I have to totaly agree with this.

When we first started playing 3e, we looked at the scribing costs and someone had a cow. We went through and house ruled scribing to cost about the same as creating a scroll of the same level.

Then we went off and made some more house rules.

Then we made some more.

I think when everyone was at about 4th or 5th level we got sick and tired of all the house rules and got rid of all of them.

We've been better off without them.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
That was one of the first house rules I made when I started running my game (back when I was relatively new to 3e).

Scribing a spell into a spellbook costs 10gp/spell level (the cost of a vial of colored ink).

I also removed the "free" spells wizards get for levelling up. Consequently, I have a lot more control over what spells the party's wizards have.

I'm not sure I like it though. Having played in several games which stick much closer to the core rules, I've gotten pretty used to them and the simplicity they bring. (Pick two spells per level--that's what your wizard knows). Combined with the attuning spellbooks rule from MoF, I'd go the core rules route if I had it to do over again. . . .

Baumi

Adventurer
And don't forget, there is this cool Bigby's Book (dont remember the exact name) wich let you copy the spells for free!

Have FUN!
Baumi

Thanee

First Post
We divided scribing costs by ten. The original costs are ridiculous!

If you use the original cost, every Wizard will have Craft Wondrous Item to make Boccob's Blessed Books!

BTW, the only effect, the original rules have (besides forcing every Wizard to make BBBs) is, that Wizards lose their versatility (they always have the most effective spells from each level anyways, they just do not bother to scribe those nice spells, that are rarely useful, but sometimes cool to have, in their spellbooks).

That's not really a positive effect, if you ask me!

Bye
Thanee

Ranes

Adventurer
With regard to the last post, I do not agree that the original costs are ridiculous; I think they're fine. Of course, each to their own. However, as a DM, I would not let let my "choose the most effective spells from each level" when they levelled up either. They would have to find a source.

How might they do this in the middle of an adventure? Simple, I'd put them there. Wizards would encounter spell scrolls as treasure - spells of the appropriate level - either before they hit the level up or afterwards. A wizard would have a choice to make: Do I scribe this (or save it to scribe when I level) or do I keep it as a scroll and wait until (a) I find another that I'd rather have in my spell book than this or (b) wait until I get to a settlement large enough that I can confer with other wizards or buy a scroll that I particularly want?

I'm not such a mean DM that I'd only drop spells in the path of a wizard that might be of very limited use but I have never liked the idea of a wizard reaching a certain level, perhaps while deep in a dungeon, and saying to himself, "Okay, now I'll learn these spells, because I think they're the coolest." One final, idiosyncratic footnote - as a wizard reached higher levels, I might take the view that his new level marks the point at which he's finally, subconsciously figured out how to scribe a certain spell and let him choose it but I'd allow this for only one spell; if he's entitled to more, I'd apply the constraints outlined above.

Cheers,

Ranes

Remove ads