• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Variant arrows for D20 (moved from the general forum)

corndemon

First Post
I posted these originally in the general discussion forum, but I figured they belong better over here, so I tidied up the list a bit. Any other ideas?

Bone Tipped Arrow : 1d4 damage, -25 range increment
Used mostly by primitive cultures, this arrow costs of a 3 or 4 inch long sliver of bone strapped to the end of the arrow's shaft. It's ineffective against any armor heavy than studded leather, causing armored opponents to simply ignore the attack, unless the archer takes a standard -4 called shot penalty to aim for an unprotected part of the body (if any).
Cost : 1cp

Stone Tipped Arrow: 1d6 damage, normal range
Also used mainly by primitve peoples, this arrow is fitted with a head made of stone chipped into a suitable shape. The major improvement from bone arrows is that this variety can be effective against heavier armors.
Cost : 2cp

Sheaf Arrow : +1 damage, otherwise normal
A thicker shaft and heavy head reduce the range of this arrow, but give it a higher damage potential than the standard arrow.
Cost : 1sp

Standard (or Bundle) Arrow : normal D20 arrow
Called bundle arrows because they are easily made and usually sold in large bundles, where the rest are custom made and sold in lots of 1, 2, 4 or rarely 6.
Cost : 5cp

Flight Arrow : -1 damage, +20 range increment
A lighter, thinner shaft and lighter head give this arrow a longer range while sacrificing some damage potential.

Eagle Arrow: -2 damage, +40 range increment
An extremely light arrow crafted by Elven fletchers to maximize range
Cost : 5sp

Whistling (or Screaming) Arrow : normal
Forces a moral check against creatures with wis of 10 or lower carved channels in the shaft caused the arrow to spin on its hirizontal axis, creating a high pitched screaming sound easily heard up to 1000 yards away
Cost : 5sp

Flare (or Flame) Arrow : normal
Causes 1d4 points fire damage if target fails a DC15 fort save often used in the field by rangers and soldiers by shooting them straight up, hence the flare name.
Cost : 1gp

Stinger (Ceramic Hollow Tipped) Arrow : -2 damage, -20 range increment due to weight
May be filled acid or poison that is released on impact. these arrows always shatter on impact and cannot be reused without a Craft : Flectcher skill use, and spare arrowheads
Cost : 1gp (does not include cost of acid or poison if used)

Harpoon Arrow : +1 damage from weight, -30 range increment
Trails a 300 foot length of light but strong cord, used to reel in prey, treat as a sheaf arrow for range and damage
Cost : 10gp including cord, 2gp alone

Grapnel Arrow : +1 damage from weight, -50 range increment
Similar to the harpoon arrow above, but with a small grappling hook for a head. If used as a weapon, target must make a DC 15 fort save to remove the arrow or take an additional 1d4 damage.
Cost : 15 gp including 300 foot cord (can hold up to 200 pounds before breaking), 8gp alone.

Frog Crotch Arrow : Not effective as a weapon, -50 range increment
Succesful hit allows the archer to cut ropes and cords. Used often by recon type rangers and archers involved in seige situations. The name is taken from the old 1E Oriental Adventures book, so don't blame me if it sounds a bit crude. The name is derived from the shape of the head, sort of a rounded v with the open end facing forward and sharpened along the inside edges, the arrow catches the rope and severs it.
Cost : 1gp

gpetruc

First Post
Really good ideas. I'll use them in my campaign.

But there are a few things that I think are questionable:
1) shouldn't sheaf arrows have shorter range ? (if they have the same range and a +1 to damage with the only drawback of costing 5cp more everybody will use them instead of standard arrows)

2) why a Fort save against the flame arrow and not a Reflex save ? I know that usually spells that require a touch attack don't have reflex saves, but in this case the reflex would mean "you are able to extinguish or at least throw away the fire before you get damaged".

corndemon

First Post
Originally posted by gpetruc
Really good ideas. I'll use them in my campaign.

But there are a few things that I think are questionable:
1) shouldn't sheaf arrows have shorter range ? (if they have the same range and a +1 to damage with the only drawback of costing 5cp more everybody will use them instead of standard arrows)

Yeah, that was an error on my part. It should read:

Sheaf Arrow : +1 damage, -20 range increment
A thicker shaft and heavy head reduce the range of this arrow, but give it a higher damage potential than the standard arrow.

2) why a Fort save against the flame arrow and not a Reflex save ? I know that usually spells that require a touch attack don't have reflex saves, but in this case the reflex would mean "you are able to extinguish or at least throw away the fire before you get damaged".

I reasoned that the flare arrow subjects the target to a short burst of flame, not a chance of igniting the target. For this reason, the fort save reflects your ability to withstand the heat damage for a short time. If you want to rule instead that the arrow causes things to ignite, a ref save may be a better option.

Fade

First Post
The grapnel arrow, while appearing in some games, is just silly. Whilst the cord may be able to support 200 pounds (nylon?), the arrow would certainly be pulled out long before that. And a grapnel head should not do more damage than a sharpened broadhead.

Last edited:

Remove ads