• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Using the Kobold Wild Mage

SDOgre

First Post
Keep on the Shadowfell Spoiler

After reading the article on kobolds by Mike Mearls I had to use the wild mage. My players were about to hit the kobold lair in KotS so I replaced the dragonshield with the wild mage. It was perfect since the map shows the dragonshield starting in the sacred circle. Now the mage started there. It ended up adding 75xp to the encounter but they were fresh, so I went for it.

Wow, what fun.

They don't have a controller but they have a ranger who used the twin strike to take out two kobold minions a round while the dwarven fighter took on the wild mage.

The wild mage was smoking him. I never missed (he gets a +9 vs. reflex) and did max damage almost every time (and critted once). Withe the shifting ability and the instant teleport (it didn't say but I rolled random the direction as well as the distance).

The first time the mage teleported it landed right next to the cleric.

Ah, good times.

It was the last kobold standing and blew up in the dwarf's face when he killed it. Beautiful.

I just wish the kobolds could have dropped someone to 0 so I could have used that victory chart...

Anyone else used the kobolds from the Creature Incarnations article?

VannATLC

First Post
I've got a 7 person party, and I spent last session familiarising people with the rules, and trap encounters, etc.

This session, I'll actually be starting KOTS, and I'm opening with an assault by Kobold bandits on their caravan, prior to reaching Winterhaven.

I'm going to be using some of the Kobolds from that article, and I'll be adding some to most of the encounters.

During my test/familiarisation encounters, I only managed to kill 1 player, and that was with a level 8 brute. (Zombie Hulk SMASH!)
So, I'm thinking they'll probably get through most of KOTS without too much trouble, though we'll have to see.

rushlight

Roll for Initiative!
So far I've used the Vermin Handler. The Wild Mage will come sooner or later, the party is just level 1 at the moment. But, the Vermin Handler did well for flavor, but didn't really threaten the party. The four Kobold Skirmishers really did most of the heavy lifting, along with a number of Minions along for the ride. I did get the Vermin Cage attack off, and while the description greatly amused the party, the player saved on the first roll.

Griogre

First Post
With a seven man party you really should consider scaling up the KotS encounters a bit. I'll going to be running a six man party, myself. One of the things I like about 4th Ed is it is so easy to scale on the fly - just adding or subtracting a monster of the same level as the characters or 4 minions.

Remove ads