• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Using (non-identified) wands

Ziggy

First Post
Hi!

We have always identified wands before uing them, but looking trough the SRD, it states:

Activation

Wands use the spell trigger activation method, so casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity. (If the spell being cast, however, has a longer casting time than 1 action, it takes that long to cast the spell from a wand.) To activate a wand, a character must hold it in hand (or whatever passes for a hand, for nonhumanoid creatures) and point it in the general direction of the target or area.

Looking at spell triggers, it states:
Spell Trigger

Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell. Activating a spell trigger item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

There is no explicit statement requiring idetification of the wand, but this might be stated somewhere else ?

The question is therefore, can you just point it in the right direction and hope it works, or do you have to identify it first ?

.Ziggy

Henrix

Explorer
You seem to be correct, but the DMG (p.175) adds that "The user must still determine what spell is stored in the item before she can and [Sic!] activate it."

Ziggy

First Post
Thanks Henrix, I guess that settles it. I don't have the DMG with me, is that quote from the section on wands, or in the general section on usng magic items ?

.Ziggy

Ziggy

First Post
Thanks again!

One of my players will be disappointed, there is a wand of fireballs on a dead Orc nearby, and a desperat need for more firepower :)

.Ziggy

Henrix

Explorer
If the character knows it is a Wand of Fireballs it shouldn't be any problem.
He has determined what spell it is, and it's on his list, so he should be able to just blast away.

Ziggy

First Post
Henrix said:
If the character knows it is a Wand of Fireballs it shouldn't be any problem.
He has determined what spell it is, and it's on his list, so he should be able to just blast away.

Hmm, that true - I forgot that angle. I guess it's her lucky day after all.

.Ziggy

Remove ads