Underwater Combat?

Zoombaba

First Post
Try as I might, I couldn't find underwater combat rules in the core rulebooks. Are there underwater combat rules for DnD 3e?

Here was the situation: everyone had a breath water potion. Everyone decided to move along the bottom of a underwater temple (about 10 feet underwater), and were attacked by 3 massive Skum with underwater operating crossbows. I eventually ruled that movement was halved, and all DEX based skills were at -4, and so was AC, Attacks and Damage. The Skum operated with no penalties.

Anyway, let me know if that sounds good or what the actual rules are.

Thanks, Zoombaba

Moulin Rogue

First Post
Check out the free web enhancement for "Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil" on the WotC site. I'd post a link to it but the site is down for me at the moment.

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
If you have access to Dungeon Magazine #92, you can find rules for underwater combat on page 91.

They are only slightly different from the web enhancement's version.

Last edited:

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Skip Williams wrote an underwater combat article in Dragon #291 (cover features the iconic gnome illusionist, Nebin). I don't have it, but The Seafarer's Handbook is supposed to have underwater combat rules, too.

Edit: Skip's article in Dragon #291 seems to be identicle to what he wrote for Monte's web enhancement for Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil.

Last edited:

Taloras

First Post
I dont remember where, but i remember reading somewhere that all damage is halved underwater. Its probably in the DMG

hong

WotC's bitch
Just to add to the clutch of references flying around, there's also something in the D&D FAQ on this subject:

What are the effects of fighting underwater?

Here's some rules Jonathan Tweet and I cooked up.

If you don't have a swimming speed (or a freedom of movement effect), you suffer a -2 penalty to attacks and damage when underwater. Any slashing weapon, blunt weapon, claw attack, or tail attack also inflicts half damage. (Subtract the 2 points first, then take half of the rest and round down.)

Remember that a successful hit still inflicts at least 1 point of damage.

Even if you have a swimming speed, you inflict half damage with slashing or blunt weapons (but not claws) unless you have a freedom of movement effect.

Remove ads