• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ukraine invasion

moriantumr

Explorer
Great idea. It was more than you anticipated good or bad? Don't take on more than you can handle.

I had not anticipated the need or generosity. I would have been happy to turn a cake into 50 dollars of donations. I need to actually talk to my boss about doing it at the bakery. Fat Tuesday Paczki kept it too busy and today was all the stuff we put off for the paczki

I do appreciate the reminder. I often forget to take care of myself when I am not mindful.

Zardnaar

Legend
It's already happened, that I've seen personally. And Americans being Americans, they can't tell if someone is from Ukraine or Russia by accent alone, so a whole lot of people not even Russian OR Ukrainian are getting lumped into the harassment.

Happens every time. Unless someone's wearing around wearing those Putin t-shirts and waving the Soviet flag or something leave them alone.

Here there's been an incident where they spray painted a ship selling Russian goods.

Progress I suppose in 1914-18 they threw bricks through the windows and renamed several streets.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I think the words of Martin Kimani (Kenya's UN ambassador) prior to the invasion really put this in perspective, and clearly show Russia's actions go against the spirit of the United Nations.
Martin Kimani said:
This situation echoes our history. Kenya and almost every African country was birthed by the ending of empire. Our borders were not of our own drawing. They were drawn in the distant colonial metropoles of London, Paris and Lisbon, with no regard for the ancient nations that they cleaved apart. At independence, had we chosen to pursue states on the basis of ethnic, racial or religious homogeneity, we would still be waging bloody wars these many decades later. Instead, we agreed that we would settle for the borders that we inherited, but we would still pursue continental political, economic and legal integration. Rather than form nations that looked ever backward into history with a dangerous nostalgia, we chose to look forward to a greatness none of our many nations and peoples had ever known.

Hmm... I wonder if before the invasion, some third-party nation at the UN had said "These are serious and concerning allegations of what is happening inside Ukraine. But in the absence of evidence, I propose UN peacekeepers and observers (from a neutral nation) are sent to the Donbas to investigate ceasefire violations and see what is going on, reporting back in 30 days."

I doubt it would have changed anything, and it had the danger of giving a smidge of credence to Putin's lies, but I think it would have made Putin's justifications all the more flimsy when he rejected it.

Remove ads