• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tumble

Lord Ben

First Post
You can use tumble during any move right? For instance I had a Monk NPC flee from battle at his 4x run speed of 200ft and I wanted to avoid an AO for leaving a square. That's legal right? I know you can tumble for 20ft, but you can do it as part of a run or a move or whatever right?

jontherev

First Post
Lord Ben said:
You can use tumble during any move right? For instance I had a Monk NPC flee from battle at his 4x run speed of 200ft and I wanted to avoid an AO for leaving a square. That's legal right? I know you can tumble for 20ft, but you can do it as part of a run or a move or whatever right?

Yes, except perhaps swimming (unless swimming is "normal movement" for you), flying, and burrowing. Oh, and climbing.

Yes.
Yes.

Belares

First Post
I do not believe you can do a tumble because run is a full round action and you lose your Dex as a result..even though that may not affect Tumble.

Henrix

Explorer
I think that the "as part of normal movement" should be taken basically as part of a normal movement action.

Now, some people think you can do it during a charge, but during a run seems to be stretching it a bit, after all you can't do anything else than move in a straight line, and you even incur attacks of opportunity.

So, I'd say definitely no, you can't tumble when running.

You'd have to take a double move away first, and then run. If all you do is move away, with a single or double move, in a round, you don't incur an AoO (as long as you'r not surrounded or somesuch).

mikebr99

Explorer
Why isn't running also described as normal movement? It is just a really fast walk afterall. ;)

I don't see why you can't initiate your running round with up to 20ft. of tumbling... the action provokes an AoO if the tumble fails.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
The only restriction I read is that if your speed has been reduced by armor or encumbrance, you cannot tumble. So if you are wearing medium or heavy armor or special armor that reduces your speed, or if you are carrying a medium or heavy load, you cannot tumble. I see no other restriction. So you can tumble during a run action, albeit only for 20 total feet.

Antikinesis

First Post
Everyone seems to agree that the rules allow tumbling during normal movement. The debate seems to be about what constitutes "normal" movement. I don't recall seeing anything that concretely defines normal movement, so it looks like it's a judgement call.

IMHO, running is not "abnormal movement". (Abnormal movement is what you get when you top off that jalepeno chilli dog with a super-sized red-hot burrito.) Visualizing real-world situations leads me to consider that you're "running" while in combat (it sure ain't no casually ambling around while you're playing pointy-sharp-thing pattycake), and you can tumble around then. Makes sense that you can tumble while you're running away, too. Another example... gymnist floor exercises. They back into a corner and get a big runing start for all those back flips and roundovers and stuff. (No , I'm not a gymnist. I'm not sure I can spell "gymnist".) They're running pretty fast during that tumbling stuff.

Let the players run and tumble. Nothing wrong with it at all. :)

-AK

Remove ads