• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trip, Disarm, and picking up a weapon... any rules say the following is not correct?

Kae'Yoss

First Post
You could of course pick up the weapon by yourself. He won't give you an AoO since he has no more weapons and therefore he won't threaten the area any more. In the next round, he can but hit you, try to disarm you (with his bare hands), or draw another weapon. And you just hurl the weapon as far away as you can, or simply put it away...

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
RedSwan78 said:
I think I'd only be willing to go as far as saying that they can pick it up for free, but it still provokes an AoO
I do just the opposite. It's still a MEA, but it doesn't provoke a AoO since you're already prone. Like I said though, that's just me.

The rules say picking a weapon up off of the ground provokes - I guess because you have to bend down and grab it, which lowers your guard for an instant. My opinion is that you are not picking it up if you are prone. You don't have to bend down, so you don't have to lower your guard, so you don't provoke.

House rule? (shrug). I don't think so, but you can call it that if you want.

RedSwan78

First Post
Ki Ryn said:
The rules say picking a weapon up off of the ground provokes - I guess because you have to bend down and grab it, which lowers your guard for an instant.

House rule? (shrug). I don't think so, but you can call it that if you want.

You are diverting your attention away from your attacker to pick up your weapon, EVEN if you are on the ground. Just like you are diverting your attention away from attacking someone to attack their weapon, you suffer an AoO, unless you have Sunder. So, unless you have "Improved pick things up", you STILL provoke an AoO. The rules do NOT say any different.

If you say otherwise for your campaign, that's cool, but it IS a house rule.

See, that's my ENITRE point, is that *nowhere* in the rules does it say, that if you are prone, you get to pick something up for free. The rules just flat out say that picking something up is a MEA that provokes an AoO. I wanted to see if there were any *stated rules* that I was missing. You're just coming up with House Rules, which is fine and all. I'm just trying to make a point.

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
I agree that it does not, anwhere in the rules, state that picking something up while prone does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

In fact I believe that the single entry in that chart in the PHB:

"Pick something up . . . . . Yes"

is the totality of what the rules as written have to say on the subject.

Personally, I find plenty of room for interpretation in that chart. To me, preparing a weapon lying next to you is closer to preparing a sheathed weapon (or one on your back, like a bow or axe) than it is to bending over and picking something up off of the ground.

Rotate the whole thing 90 degrees so that someone is standing with their back up against a wall. On the wall next to them is hung a sword. Can they grab it without provoking an AoO? I would let them, but I am guessing you would not. I think both are fine opinions and niether a house rule.

Dash Dannigan

First Post
RedSwan78 said:

You are diverting your attention away from your attacker to pick up your weapon, EVEN if you are on the ground. Just like you are diverting your attention away from attacking someone to attack their weapon, you suffer an AoO, unless you have Sunder. So, unless you have "Improved pick things up", you STILL provoke an AoO. The rules do NOT say any different.

If you say otherwise for your campaign, that's cool, but it IS a house rule.

See, that's my ENITRE point, is that *nowhere* in the rules does it say, that if you are prone, you get to pick something up for free. The rules just flat out say that picking something up is a MEA that provokes an AoO. I wanted to see if there were any *stated rules* that I was missing. You're just coming up with House Rules, which is fine and all. I'm just trying to make a point.

Nor do the rules say that grabbing a weapon on the ground while prone provokes an attack of opportunity. This is the point I think you are missing. The rules simply do not have it covered and thus a judgement must be made. To be honest, both interpretations are so-called house rules. But there is no rule-savy "correct" way of doing it here. So decide as you wish but don't call other people interpretations "house rules" too much around the rules forum, that's a naughty word here. :p

*shrug* Take it as you will, there is nothing else to go on I'm afraid, at least not until 3.5 comes out where clarifications will abound.

Cheers!

Storminator

First Post
KaeYoss said:
You could of course pick up the weapon by yourself. He won't give you an AoO since he has no more weapons and therefore he won't threaten the area any more. In the next round, he can but hit you, try to disarm you (with his bare hands), or draw another weapon. And you just hurl the weapon as far away as you can, or simply put it away...

I don't believe this is correct. He still threatens. But if he attacks you unarmed (and you are armed), he draws an AoO. So you AoO him on his AoO.

PS

sok

First Post
Picking up weapon

How about this, use both rules:

If the weapon is disarmed, roll a d10 to see where it lands
9 and 10 can be the square where the wielder of the weapon was standing, 1-8 are the corresponding squares surrounding the wielder

If the wielder is prone and the weapon is in the same square then no AOO, because its close enought to grab. Otherwise AOO
with the other squares because he now has to reach and scurry to get back his weapon, hey you could even give the disarmee a
bonus for whatever if its in his square.

I think i'll use it myself, it doesnt really add to much to the combat.

Sok

sok

First Post
Picking up weapon

How about this, use both rules:

If the weapon is disarmed, roll a d10 to see where it lands
9 and 10 can be the square where the wielder of the weapon was standing, 1-8 are the corresponding squares surrounding the wielder

If the wielder is prone and the weapon is in the same square then no AOO, because its close enought to grab. Otherwise AOO
with the other squares because he now has to reach and scurry to get back his weapon, hey you could even give the disarmee a
bonus for whatever if its in his square.

I think i'll use it myself, it doesnt really add to much to the combat.

Sok

Oracular Vision

First Post
Dash Dannigan said:

Nor do the rules say that grabbing a weapon on the ground while prone provokes an attack of opportunity. This is the point I think you are missing. The rules simply do not have it covered and thus a judgement must be made. To be honest, both interpretations are so-called house rules. But there is no rule-savy "correct" way of doing it here. So decide as you wish but don't call other people interpretations "house rules" too much around the rules forum, that's a naughty word here. :p

*shrug* Take it as you will, there is nothing else to go on I'm afraid, at least not until 3.5 comes out where clarifications will abound.

Cheers!

Wrong. Picking a weapon up off the ground covers it all, unless you have a reading comprehenshion problem. It doesn't matter if you are prone or not. It couldn't be clearer. House rule away, but don't claim there is no rule, as you are wrong.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads