• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trip Attacks: Limited to specific weapons?

psionotic

Are trip attacks limited to the weapons that indicate you can trip with them in their entry in the equipment section (of the PHB)?

The combat actions section on Trip makes no mention of the fact that only some weapons are useable, and some weapons (like quarterstaff) that would seem to be good tripping weapons, are not listed as such in the equipment section.

I checked the D&D FAQ, and I was surprised to find that apparently no one has asked this before. And maybe its clear to everyone but me....

Artoomis

First Post
For 3.5:

Trip attempts: Trip is clarified in 3.5 to be an unarmed touch attack (which provokes an AoO), *unless* you have the Improved Trip feat (in which case there's no AoO for the attempt), or if you're using a weapon specifically designed to trip (such as the halberd), in which case it's an armed attack and you don't provoke the AoO. If you're using a tripping weapon, and would be tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the weapon instead.

Compare with 3.0:

Trip an opponent [Varies][AoO: No]
A character can try to trip an opponent as a melee attack. A character can only trip an opponent who is one size category larger than a character, the same size, or smaller.
Making a Trip Attack: Make a melee attack as a melee touch attack. If the attack succeeds, make a Strength check opposed by the defender's Dexterity or Strength check (whichever ability score has the higher modifier). A character gets a +4 bonus for every size category he is larger than Medium-size or a -4 penalty for every size category he is smaller. The defender gets a +4 stability bonus on his check if he has more than two legs or is otherwise more stable than a normal humanoid. If a character win, a character trip the defender. If a character lose, the defender may immediately react and make a Strength check opposed by a character's Dexterity or Strength check to try to trip a character.
A tripped character is prone. Standing up from prone is a move-equivalent action.
A character may make a trip attack against a mounted opponent. The defender may use his Ride skill in place of his Dexterity or Strength check. If a character succeed, a character pull the rider from his mount.
This attack form substitutes for a melee attack, not an action. As a melee attack, it can be used once in an attack or charge action, one or more times in a full attack action, or even as an attack of opportunity.

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
I think that only "tripping" weapon can be used, but that you can also make trip attacks unarmed (and thus provoke an AoO when making the melee touch attack to induce a trip?)

Maitre D

LokiDR

First Post
Page 69, Sword and Fist, example combat: Shaez trips Francois with a rapier.

The funny thing is, a bonus of 15, which doesn't match her full bonus with a rapier (17) or her base attack of 11.

Artoomis

First Post
LokiDR said:

Is the AoO in addition to the AoO for attacking unarmed without improved unarmed, I wonder.

I don't think so. I think that attacking unarmed is the reason there is an AoO. I infer that from:
...or if you're using a weapon specifically designed to trip (such as the halberd), in which case it's an armed attack and you don't provoke the AoO...

Last edited:

drnuncheon

Explorer
LokiDR said:
Page 69, Sword and Fist, example combat: Shaez trips Francois with a rapier.

The funny thing is, a bonus of 15, which doesn't match her full bonus with a rapier (17) or her base attack of 11.

She's using Expertise to get 2 points of AC - if you notice, she's rolling at +15 instead of +17 all through the example.

J

LokiDR

First Post
drnuncheon said:

She's using Expertise to get 2 points of AC - if you notice, she's rolling at +15 instead of +17 all through the example.

J

I missed that point. So it stands that, by this example, you can trip with the full bonus of a weapon, regardless if they are a "tripping weapon" or not.

Artoomis

First Post
LokiDR said:

I missed that point. So it stands that, by this example, you can trip with the full bonus of a weapon, regardless if they are a "tripping weapon" or not.

Of course, that's a Sword and Fist example. I wouldn't put much faith in that. I think the "clarification" for 3.5 is how it's supposed to work.

LokiDR

First Post
Artoomis said:

Of course, that's a Sword and Fist example. I wouldn't put much faith in that. I think the "clarification" for 3.5 is how it's supposed to work.

Given the example, and the fact that the trip description does not mention a "tripping weapon" is required, I think it is the way it officially works.

The "clarification" of 3.5 is not a clarification at all, it is a completely different rule. It may well be a better one, but that doesn't mean it isn't different. It gives a trip attempt an AoO and alters the Improved Trip feat to negate that AoO.

Remove ads