• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Treasure comparison: AD&D1, D&D3

Should I post the treasure lists of the classic and current iconic adventure paths?

• Yes

Votes: 66 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.7%

Quasqueton

First Post
It started with a curious notion, and it built up from going through one adventure module noting certain things mentally. Then it became actually taking notes on a piece of paper, and comparing between them.

I have made a list of the treasure (total gp value, total xp value, and listed magic items) in the iconic adventure series of AD&D1 and D&D3. I found the data quite interesting, and even surprising in places.

Since I have the info already, I could easily post it here for group discussion. Is anyone interested in seeing this and talking about it? I wouldn't want it to be read as a spark for an edition war, so that's why I'm asking the general consensus: should I post the data for discussion?

Note: The thread would, of course, be a spoiler for any Players going into any of the adventures:
AD&D1's Temple of Elemental Evil, Against the Giants, Descent to the Depths of the Earth, Vault of the Drow, and Queen of the Demonweb Pit.
D&D3's Sunless Citadel, Forge of Fury, Speaker In Dreams, Standing Stones, Heart of Nightfang Spire, Lord of the Iron Fortress, and Bastion of Broken Souls.

Quasqueton

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
are you going to highlight the rules/mechanics too? (encumbrance rules, magic identification rules, carrying capacity, time limits) and where the various adventures came from/ their intended use? (as you know D1,D2, D3, G1, G2,G3, A1, A2,A3,A4, C1,C2,etc...made introductions at conventions as one shots)

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
I remember running the Giant series all the way through Queen of the Demonweb Pits, and the PC's would take any treasure and just toss it into their portable hole. Never counted, or appraised anything. I wrote it all down on several pads of legal paper, and kept a running total (for my own interest). They amassed over 1,000,000 gp of non-magical treasure during that time. Mind you, they often spent 100,000 gp every time they had to train up in levels. I may look to see if I have those sheets hanging around somewhere...

The portable hole later was stolen, and only then did I tell the PC's the value of the stuff within it.

diaglo

Adventurer
Kid Charlemagne said:
I remember running the Giant series all the way through Queen of the Demonweb Pits, and the PC's would take any treasure and just toss it into their portable hole. Never counted, or appraised anything. I wrote it all down on several pads of legal paper, and kept a running total (for my own interest). They amassed over 1,000,000 gp of non-magical treasure during that time. Mind you, they often spent 100,000 gp every time they had to train up in levels. I may look to see if I have those sheets hanging around somewhere...

The portable hole later was stolen, and only then did I tell the PC's the value of the stuff within it.
if they went room by room and estate by estate and the DM gave maximum gold for each random roll and value of gems and jewelry you can get over 1000000gp for nonmagic items from D3 alone.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
diaglo said:
if they went room by room and estate by estate and the DM gave maximum gold for each random roll and value of gems and jewelry you can get over 1000000gp for nonmagic items from D3 alone.

They didn't even go into the Drow Estates. :)

Quasqueton

First Post
dcollins said:
Could you just post your conclusions?
Any conclusions I might state would be summarily dismissed as unsubstantiated and/or biased, at best. The straight data is proof and neutral.

Quasqueton

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads