• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tinman (First thoughts -Many Spoilers)

Black Omega

First Post
Wow, Tinman sucks even more than I thought so far.

Spoilers...

We no longer have Oz. We have 'The O.Z.'.

The cowardly lion is a spiritual healer who can see glimpses of the future.

The Tinman is a local cop who was helping the resistance against Askadelia (sp). This is apparently supposed to be the Wicked Witch of the West.

The Scarecrow is a 'headcase' someone with a zipper in his head because part of his brain was removed.

Doothy is DG, a refugee from 'The O.Z.' who was settled on earth Luke Skywalker style to protect her from Askadelia (sp). Her parents are programmed robots or contructs who raised her on Earth with the idea she'll return to 'The O.Z.' and save people. DG's mom even left a 'gift' for her, though it's not as cool as a lightssaber.

It doesn't help that I was getting Highlander II flashbacks in the first 10 minutes. Askadelia consults a seerr who hints someone 'on the other side' might be a threat to her plans to get an Emerald before a mystic double eclipse. So she sends people after DG. Who only gets back to 'The O.Z'.' because of the attack to kill her opens the way.

End Spoilers...

In short so far it's barely recognizable as even relating to the Wizard of Oz.

Last edited:

Graybeard

Explorer
I watched it this evening. Although you are correct in saying it is not even close to the Wizard of Oz, I would not say it sucks. I'm not sure if I would call it good either. I like it visually and the acting is decent. I will wait until I see the rest of the miniseries before I pass final judgment on it.

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
I actually enjoyed it quite a bit and thought the O.Z., etc. was a fun play on words. The acting is fine and it certainly is different (and better) from the usual fantasy slop thrust upon us.

Avarice

First Post
I think I'll reserve final judgment until I see the rest of it, but so far it wasn't bad. I thought the actress playing DG was a bit wooden, but overall the acting was decent. It was quite nice, visually, and the wicked witch (Azkadelia?) had evil flying breast-monkeys. How can you not like that? :cool:

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Give Sci-Fi credit for having the flying monkey tatoo, to best show off cleavage! :D

Not real good but better than a number of Sci-fi movies.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
As described, it sounds goofy, but I think it's all about the execution. When I first heard they were re-doing Battlestar Galacttica with a sexy female cylon, I thought, "that sure sounds goofy," but it turns out it's extraordinarily good TV. Whodda thunk it?

Black Omega

First Post
At this point I doubt I'll be watching the next two episodes. I kind of wish this was a reimagining in the style of Battlestar Galactica. As it is Tinman bears no resemblance to Wizard of Oz except in the most remote sense, it's taken a few place names and character types and lost everything else. If it had simply been a Sci-Fi stand alone movie, I'd probably like it more. But I've seen a couple good reimaginings/alternate viewpoints for Oz and this suffers based on my expectations for a Wizard of Oz movie.

That said, Glitch and Cain have turned in good performances.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads