• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thread Rating System

Oni

First Post
I really dislike the new thread rating system. I feel like it's just a tool for micro-aggression in the Edition War, that has the potential to dampen conversation.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's not new. It's been part of vbulletin for as long as I can remember (nearly 10 years, I think). I think you're just noticing it because the rating graphic somehow became a bit screwed up recently. The graphic is usually less intrusive.

Oni

First Post
It's not new. It's been part of vbulletin for as long as I can remember (nearly 10 years, I think). I think you're just noticing it because the rating graphic somehow became a bit screwed up recently. The graphic is usually less intrusive.

LoL, i can honestly say I've never noticed it before. Let me rephrase, now that I've noticed it, I don't care for it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I haven't done anything to thread ratings, so it's unlikely that it's changed in any way recently.

Thread Rating: Yellow - Elevated
Significant risk of of useful information or interesting view points

This post was brought to you by the Thread Quality Department.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Actually, now that I checked, it's active on News, Subscriber Content, New Horizons, Pathfinder, EN Publishing, Your Reviews, Gamers Seeking Gamers, Conquest, and Archive-threads (that last one's a curious one, aren't those supposed to be locked?).

I guess I just never noticed before.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I have noticed it before...thought it was pointless...forgot about it...but something did change to make it more prominent.

If you are looking to ditch something, I would put it on the top of the list.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
It did change recently I think, there was no ability to rate a thread in any forum I ever noticed. And I dislike the feature myself for all the same reasons, plus it might discourage new members to post threads.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
The value of the XP system is that those who wish to praise a post do so on the record. When I see a post has been given some XP, I can see if it is getting praise from a range of folks with a variety of general views and playstyles or if it is being praised by a handful of likeminded individuals (there are a couple of groups of folks who tend to pat one another on the back with regular frequency). The thread rating system allows for folks to anonymously target threads with which they disagree whether those reasons are rational or not, supported by fact or evidence or not, and can even be motivated by the very reasons that would get a post amounting to the same thing a warning from moderators (perhaps even a thread ban). In the best case scenarios it let's folks promote a thread without actually adding anything to the discussion through their rating and in the worst case scenario it allows folks to target threads by giving bad ratings when their only motivation could be seen as thread-crapping or edition-warring. In short, the thread rating systems has few "pros" and many "cons."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads