• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Thoughts on the revised Ardling?

Vaalingrade

Legend
But to really answer the question, it's because they operate differently if you actually look at the species rather than the fact that they're cats.

Tabaxi are the fast nimble housecat people. Leonins are big, strong 'leaderly' lion types. Cat shifters are were-cats, having modes between person and creature. And Ardlings are so you can get close to the big horse mommy from the BoED.

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
Just thinking about a cow headed Ardling reminds me of the Minotaur from Time Bandits:
1670528716121.png

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Still got no clue why we need taxabi AND leonin AND cat shifters, AND cat head aardlings.

We now have four ways for people to play as a cat-like schmorp.

Just having a cat beast race (with taxabi and leonin as subspecies options), and shifters would be enough.

I do not understand this position.

Leonin were in the Theros book, and has had no wider uptake, I don't think. Didn't make the cut into MotM, for example, as satyrs did.

I don't think the word cat even appears in the description of shifters -- weretiger ancestors being the closest thing, and only one of two speedy options.

So there's tabaxi and a small subset of ardlings (1 of 16 examples given).

Of these, would your objection disappear if they simply removed the example of "cat" from the list of creatures associated with the climber option?

For most players, there is one cat race -- Tabaxi. Players who want to can add catlike characteristics to two others, where it is completely optional and has no menchanical effect.

I do not understand this position.

Leonin were in the Theros book, and has had no wider uptake, I don't think. Didn't make the cut into MotM, for example, as satyrs did.

I don't think the word cat even appears in the description of shifters -- weretiger ancestors being the closest thing, and only one of two speedy options.

So there's tabaxi and a small subset of ardlings (1 of 16 examples given).

Of these, would your objection disappear if they simply removed the example of "cat" from the list of creatures associated with the climber option?

For most players, there is one cat race -- Tabaxi. Players who want to can add catlike characteristics to two others, where it is completely optional and has no menchanical effect.
The word 'feline' also used to describe swiftstride shifters. It's quite clear that they can be humans with cat-like features if the player wants.

Using the taxabi/leonin/shifter trio was just an example though. My main issue is just aardlings trying to simultaneously overlap with aasimar, shifters, and the varying beastfolk at the same time.

Ideally I'd prefer to see aardlings become an aasimar sub-schmorp, with links to Guardinals as their celestial heritage. The player could them flavour that as traits from whatever animal they wanted, including an animal head.

Remove ads