• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thought Experiment: Level Adjustment

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
Usually a player can simply refluff something that already exists to play an exotic race. But what if you've got that player at your table, and you want to make them happy? Let's say they just have to play their favorite race, a deep ogre, and refluffing just won't cut it. The player needs their PC to be Large, with dark vision and a natural Grab attack. One of those traits would probably be okay for a PC, but they're unfair taken together. So whaddya gonna do?

Let's say, in exchange for giving the player their three deep ogre traits (in addition to the usual pair of racial +2s and so on), you decide to delay their level-up goodies by a level or two. Not their half-level bonus, at-wills, hit points, skills or miscellaneous class stuff. Just E/D/U powers, feats, stat boosts for level, and PP/ED goodies. Essentially everything on page 29 of the PHB is delayed by 1 or 2 levels.

What if? Discuss.

the Jester

Legend
Well, assuming deep ogres are a viable race for pcs imc- which they aren't, but that's a separate issue- the main problem I see with this approach is the lack of options. One of the best things about leveling up in 4e is that you suddenly have more choices, not just more power. I'd be more inclined to impose an xp penalty or something like that.

whydirt

First Post
First, I would basically never allow a Large PC under any circumstances. Second, you have a player problem and not a rules problem, so trying to solve it with house rules won't really help, imo.

I think a deep ogre could be modeled using a goliath along with maybe a few custom feats, and if the player isn't willing to compromise, they should probably choose another character background or find a new game.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
To clarify, I'd probably never actually use this. I'd have to have a really special player to do this--like Tolkien...or a girlfriend. (I kid, I kid!) I just like to think about this in my idle time.

I'd be more inclined to impose an xp penalty or something like that.
You mean like 'you will always be 1,000 XP behind other PCs' or 'you will earn 10% less XP' or something else?

First, I would basically never allow a Large PC under any circumstances.
Fair enough. I DM for a centaur, and I haven't found being Large to be a huge advantage. In fact in a dungeon setting, it's often a disadvantage.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads