• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thinking About Moving to FUDGE at Epic Level

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Sepulchrave II said:
The rules are just getting too complicated, and I just don't have any time for the amount of mechanics involved any more. Whaddya think?

If you like FUDGE's freeform traits but want to keep the basics of d20 intact, check out my .sig (click the link). I can email you a copy of a [rough] EZ20 fantasy-themed character sheet, as well, if you like. And there are notes on conversions here. Plus, EZ20 is still evolving, meaning that your feedback can play a role in its development.

Last edited:

Timeboxer

Explorer
FUDGE is fun, but it annoys me somewhat that the philosophy many FUDGE folks have is that rolling a +0 total on your dice should happen very often. It has the tendency to reduce the amount of tension one has about the outcome of a situation.

That said, I absolutely love FATE 3.0's Aspect mechanic. In short, the concept of core stats like Strength and Wisdom are completely replaced by Aspects, which are phrases that exemplify your character's personality and theme. When your Aspect is applicable to a situation, you can invoke it and spend a Fate Point to increase the roll by +2 or reroll. It's one of the best examples I've seen of a very good union between roleplaying and mechanics. Here's a link to the FATE SRD.

My other thought is that at extremely epic levels, characters are probably so sure of themselves that they shouldn't need to roll at all. So perhaps looking into a diceless mechanic would be fruitful.

Ian O'Rourke

First Post
I'm not a big fan of FUDGE, but as the poster above, I'm a massive fan of the FATE system which is a FUDGE variant and used in Spirit of the Century.

It's very, very good.

Timeboxer

Explorer
Just an informative addition -- you might want to look at the game Mortal Coil, as I've been doing, as it may better fit the campaign-which-is-unnamed-but-which-I-infer-is-the-difficulty. Essentially it seems to be shared world creation with a diceless resource-based task resolution mechanic.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'd consider switching to True 20 instead, Sep. I recently saw an epic lvl true 20 PC... and it fit on one page. With white space, and margins.

S'mon

Legend
Grimstaff said:
Might I recommend Castles and Crusades?

You won't have any trouble fitting a C&C 21st level PC on one page, even with white space and margins! :)

OTOH you need to be careful converting 3e material if you want to keep the same power balance. C&C characters and monsters have far fewer hit points and bonuses at higher level. There are no +10 weapons or armour, a lot of stuff may need toning down. If your players will object to apparent 'nerfing', a totally different system like FUDGE may be better.

OTOH with Epic C&C you can use a 1e Legends & Lore and the demon pinces & arch-devils from 1e MM & MM2 basically as-is, maybe increase some of the demon princes' hit points (I give 10 hit points/die and increase the weaker princes hp 50% - so Orcus is 180 hp 18 hd, demogorgon stays 20 hd 200 hp, hp doubled on home plane).

Morrow

First Post
Sepulchrave is ditching Epic D&D? My understanding of how the world works has been shattered. I have nothing left to game for. This is the end.

Remove ads