• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E THIEF as in thief

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
What DMZ2112 said, except I would dual wield short sword and dagger No need to spend the feat on dual wielding for the extra point of damage. Take Mobile instead. Mobile Rogues get many more Sneak Attack opportunities. It helps you get out of trouble, too.

Agreed. I forgot the rapier wasn't light.

I considered playing a plain thief but I´m pretty sure that I will start looking for more possibilities in my character around level 7 or 8, therefore I look for something shrewed not especially strong just good at distractions and fun to play...absolutely not trying to maximize a charater :)

If you're going to multiclass, do it after you get a feat; feats are locked to class level in this edition so if you've got three classes at 3rd level you've got a 9th level character with no feats.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
Alternately, go for a Forest Gnome / Arcane Trickster / Urchin. Have grown up on the streets as a thief, using the mice and rats as your eyes and ears — as well as your distractios for your urban legerdemain!

Cannyjiggit

First Post
Have a look at Warlock options for multiclass variety (although I personally think you need the DMs help to multiclass as a Warlock if you're not starting out as one - which they may or may not be willing to accomadate into the story).

Invocation options are Beguiling influence (help get out of sticky situations when you get caught), Devils sight (work in the dark with no problems), Eldritch Sight (see whats worth stealing and any magical defenses for free), Mask of Many faces (free disguise at will), Silent image (simple distraction whenever you need it). Those are all available at level 2 warlock along with others. Add mobile feat into the mix for good measure. Lightfoot halfling is the best mechanical fit for your requirements with forest gnome just behind but I usually let the character personality I want to play determine the race and/or background where possible and then work what I want mechanically from there.

the more I read the Warlock stuff, the more I think you can use it to build (or help build) a charater that excels in almost any single area of your choice.

albatrossen

First Post
Thanks to you all, these were good advices. I consider them and I will bring some of them into my game. you are all welcome to come up with more good ideas!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads