• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) They butchered the warlock in the new packet

3 short rests would be glorious. We always seem to be in a situation where it’s too dangerous, or it’s safe and everyone wants a long rest.
I can't remember a campaign where we went through an entire level after 3rd with it being to dangerus twice in a row... and I only carve out 1st and 2nd cause we either skip them or power through them in 1 day each.
When you’re the only short rest class, there’s not a lot of onus on the other characters to want a lunch break 20 minutes* after breakfast.
see this is unnedded snark... in a 10 hour day 3 breaks are not normalllyy 20 minis apart they are hours apart.

heck my friends that work in offices seem to get 5ish breaks a day some how in an 8 1/2 hour day.
*which is my DMs big issue with short rests. When even long combats take less than 2 minutes of game time (with 6 seconds per round), we can get through multiple fights and still be early in the morning game-wise :)
I mean you can if you only go right from fight to fight

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Totally fair. It just seems like our adventuring days move too quickly to provide those opportunities.
It’s just odd to me, because my adventuring days also move very quickly. I suspect it may be more of a difference of how averse our respective groups are to random encounters than a difference of adventuring day pace.

Reef

Hero
I can't remember a campaign where we went through an entire level after 3rd with it being to dangerus twice in a row... and I only carve out 1st and 2nd cause we either skip them or power through them in 1 day each.

see this is unnedded snark... in a 10 hour day 3 breaks are not normalllyy 20 minis apart they are hours apart.

heck my friends that work in offices seem to get 5ish breaks a day some how in an 8 1/2 hour day.

I mean you can if you only go right from fight to fight

Sorry, it wasn’t meant to be snark. It’s very easy to squeeze in 2-3 combats and only have a small amount of game time pass. If you stick by the 6-second round rule. So the whole ‘20 minutes since breakfast’ was actually a direct quote from my group.

We may be the odd group, in that when we end up on a quest, things move fast. My Dm likes to keep the Action movie feel going. I don’t mind that, it’s exciting. But it means not a lot of short rest opportunities. Again, maybe we’re just more of an outlier than I though, and other groups don’t have this issue.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Only applying to a few classes and subclasses is a major part of it, yes. 5e is the only time I recall our party ever having disagreements about resting.

In old editions it was like:

Fighter: How about we rest?
Wizard: I'm fine to keep going.
Fighter: Well, I'm at 10 hp.
Cleric: And I'm out of cure spells.
Wizard: Camping it is.

In 5e, on a (blessedly) few occasions:

Fighter/Warlock/Monk: How about we short rest.
Sorcerer: I'm fine to keep going. I've got half my spells left.
Barbarian: Me, too. I've got Rages left.
Rogue: I'm alright for another few encounters.
Cleric: Me, too. I've used my turn undead but I don't need it. Do you still need healing?
Fighter/Warlock/Monk: No, I'm close to max, but I have no abilities left after two encounters. I'm on auto-attack until we short rest.
Sorcerer: Let's just keep going. There's no benefit for the rest of us to short rest at all.
Fighter/Warlock/Monk: :(

More often it looked like this:

Fighter/Warlock/Monk: How about we short rest.
Sorcerer: I'm just about spent. I've got 2 spells left.
Barbarian: I've got 1 Rage left, but that's it.
Rogue: I'm alright for another few encounters if I can heal a bit.
Paladin: I have no spells left and no paladin healing left. Don't you still need healing?
Fighter/Warlock/Monk: We've got hit dice for healing. I can keep going. I just want to recover my abilities.
Sorcerer: Let's just long rest. There's no benefit for the rest of us to short rest at all.
Fighter/Warlock/Monk: Fine, sure.

So the fact that the Fighter (or Warlock or Monk) can short rest recover often just doesn't come up.

It was bizarre. My first hint that something was rotten in the state of rest & recovery. Especially because hit dice are the only thing that doesn't fully recover on a long rest. It's less attrition to burn spells to heal and recover them with a long rest than using hit dice.

I still remain convinced that the way the DMG got to 6-8 encounters was to take the old 3-4 encounter difficulty and low-ball it. That way you double the number of encounters per day and decrease their difficulty. Why do you want to do that? Because you increase the likelihood that the PCs will want to short rest to spend Hit Dice instead of long rest to recover everything because attrition per encounter is reduced. It's a subtle way to encourage short rests. Unfortunately, it doesn't work so well with non-standard adventuring days. Also, a lot of people seem to complain about encounter difficulty and difficulty getting the PCs to complete that many encounters. I know when I run, I can regularly pack the whole day with Deadly or Deadly+ encounters, and if I don't my players get bored with combat.
The sorcerer in your example kinda sounds like a jerk.

Sorry, it wasn’t meant to be snark. It’s very easy to squeeze in 2-3 combats and only have a small amount of game time pass. If you stick by the 6-second round rule. So the whole ‘20 minutes since breakfast’ was actually a direct quote from my group.
again that only happens if you are chaining fights

in a dungeon crawl I can imagine 2 or even 3 back to back fight, but I can also imagine a fight then an hour or tree of exploration before the next fight, and that second fight might end up with us talking it out, and that is before we trigger a trap or hit a puzzel.

outside of a dungeon I can't imagine chaining 3 fights in less then an hour most times
We may be the odd group, in that when we end up on a quest, things move fast. My Dm likes to keep the Action movie feel going.
we have whole sessions some times weeks out of game where we don't have a fight, I don't know that we are the normal either but somewhere between us must be.
I don’t mind that, it’s exciting. But it means not a lot of short rest opportunities. Again, maybe we’re just more of an outlier than I though, and other groups don’t have this issue.

Reef

Hero
again that only happens if you are chaining fights

in a dungeon crawl I can imagine 2 or even 3 back to back fight, but I can also imagine a fight then an hour or tree of exploration before the next fight, and that second fight might end up with us talking it out, and that is before we trigger a trap or hit a puzzel.

outside of a dungeon I can't imagine chaining 3 fights in less then an hour most times

we have whole sessions some times weeks out of game where we don't have a fight, I don't know that we are the normal either but somewhere between us must be.
Yep, but I guess my point is our quests do tend to chain fights. Monsters tend not to wait in their rooms for us to knock, or there is time-sensitive parts to out quests. It’s just the way they end up.

We also have times with no combat, or day long explorations with only one big fight. But those are days we just end up long resting.

Last edited:

Reef

Hero
If the DM wants rocks to fall on you, it's happening. I don't see that as a relevant argument.
Of course it’s relevant. If the DM says it’s too risky to rest it is. If the DM says, “sure you can rest, but you’ll probably lose a hostage”, we’re not going to rest.

I mean, I don’t get your point. The DM sets the stage, and if it’s a fast paced series of high action encounters (or a race against the clock), I don’t see it as an abuse of DM power to discourage resting.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads