• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Rod of Excellent Creation

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Hey all,

I need some options and opinions from the infinitely wise here on the boards. I have a 32nd Wizard/Master Arcane Artisan (from the Wotc website). Basically, this guy is an epic level craftsman - tha man that everyone goes to to get the truly outstanding items. With a Master Arcane Artisan with excellent item creation feat, a craftsman can create up to 60,000gps per day of an item. When I started running with the idea, the experience hit was killing me. Now to do his craft and not kill his in experience for EPIC items, I have an idea for an item that is slightly different that an existing epic item and need an okay before I work on it.

Rod of Excellent Creation:

As the Rod of Excellent magic, except the rod supplies up to 2,000 xps per day for item creation. If the crafter has the ability to create items that require more than 2,000 xps per day, the craftsman must provide them.

I understand that it is most likely broken, but the concept is what I'm looking for. The Rod of Excellent Magic helps spell casters that use gobs of experience for EPIC spells, and I'm looking for a similar item to help an EPIC craftsman. Personally, I think the Rod of Excellent Magic is broken as well but that's not the point. The point is based on the framework already established with the Rod of Excellent Magic, can an item similar to this exist and if so, how can it be done.

In advance, I'm looking for ideas to create a viable character here and this is an option, but I really need more ideas. I'm not looking for arguments or flames, just options.

Thanks for your time and wisdom in advance.
Keia

dcollins

Explorer
Only your DM can ok a "new item" such as this.

Personally I have no familiarity with Epic rules. However, by default I would definitely not allow such an item in a campaign I DM. The core rules are pretty clear that XP expense is the only "hard control" on powerful spells and creating magic items (DMG p. 96, paragraph 8).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads