• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Rockback, a Giant Underground Lizard

Da Man

Explorer
Greetings all,

I have need of an underground, lizard-like monster/mount and created the creature below. One of my biggest weaknesses is CR ratings, but if you have some other comments, I would love to hear them.

This creature can also be found at <A HREF="http://www.dndgaming.com/dm/illuin/monsters/clizard.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dndgaming.com/dm/illuin/monsters/clizard.html</A>

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and critiques.

Jones

The Rockback
Large Animal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hit Dice 8d8+40
Initiative +5 (+4 Impr Init, +1 Dex)
Speed 50 ft, 25 ft Climb
AC 18 (+8 Natural, +1 Dex, -1 Size)
Attacks +12/+7 Bite melee or +6/+1 Tongue ranged-touch
Damage Bite 2d6+10
Face/Reach 5' x 10'/10'
Special Attacks Tongue, Attach, Poison
Special Qualities Darkvision 120', Naturally Cold
Saves Fort +14, Ref +4, Will +5
Abilities Str 25 (+7), Dex 13, Con 21 (+5), Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 2
Skills Climb +12, Hide +3*, Listen +2, Move Silently +4, Spot +8
Feats Alertness, Power Attack

*+8 Camouflage bonus in the Deepin.
Climate/Terrain: Underground
Organization: Solitary
Chalenge Rating: CR 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 10-12 HD (Large)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Rockback lives deep beneath the surface of the world, being one of its most efficient carnivores. An adult is from 10 to 13 feet long, which includes its massive head and thick, stumpy tail, resembling a giant lizard. At its shoulder, the creature is typically about 5 feet high.

The Rockback gets its name from the broken and craggy nature of its back and its dark gray skin tone. This skin texture and coloration give it excellent camouflage in the Deepin.

Combat
The Rockback typically hides in the recesses of a well-traveled passage, waiting for an unsuspecting foe to come along. When a possible target appears, it first lashes out with its tongue and attempts to bring the foe quickly to its mouth. It will then retreat to eat its meal in peace and quiet.

It is not unusual for a Rockback to mirror a group’s movements, picking off foes one by one until its hunger is satisfied (usually taking 4 medium-sized creatures).

Tongue (Ex): Most encounters begin with a Rockback when it fires its strong, sticky tongue. It can strike up to 60’ away (no range increment).

Attach (Ex): If a Rockback hits with a Tongue attack, the tongue latches onto the opponent’s body. This deals no damage but draws the stuck opponent towards its mouth each round (no attacks of opportunity) unless that creature breaks free, which requires a successful Escape Artist check (DC 23) or Strength Check (DC 25). The Rockback can draw in a creature within 10 feet of itself and bite with a +4 attack bonus, in the same round.

A single attack with a slashing weapon that deals at least 14 points of damage severs the tongue (AC 20).

The attached-creature and the Rockback make opposed Strength checks. If the Rockback wins the Strength check, the victim will be drawn towards its mouth at a rate of 5’ per 3 points difference in the Strength Checks.

Poison (Ex): The Rockback produces a wicked poison. Anyone bitten by a Rockback must make a successful Fortitude save (DC 26) or suffer 1d8 points of Initial and Secondary temporary Strength loss.

Habitat/Society
The Rockback lives deep beneath the surface of the world, most typically never seeing even a hint of daylight in all of their lives. They prefer to lurk near known food and water sources, snacking on the small and mid-sized creatures that frequent it.

This giant lizard is a solitary animal. The female becomes fertile three times a year, attracting any male in the vicinity. The eggs are laid near a source of heat and left to fend for themselves. They resemble small, gray rocks and are very difficult to see.

Naturally Cold (Ex): The Rockback has very thick skin, which protects it from the general cold of the Deepin. It ignores the first 10 points of subdual damage done by low temperatures each round.

Ecology
Although they resemble lizards, they are in fact warm-blooded. A Rockback has a large need for meat to maintain its metabolism. They are voracious and will usually only be found in areas with a high life count.

In Illuin
Although the Rockback can be encountered close to the surface, it is most likely to only be seen by those heroes that delve deep beneath the surface or that encounter groups of Sturl in the Deepin.

Sturl use the Rockback as steeds due to their speed and remarkable climbing ability. On rare occasion they will be used as pack animals, but their appetites usually prevent having too many of them around. The Sturl have developed both saddles and tongue-restricting muzzles for these beasts and often raise them from birth.

Da Man

Explorer
Thanks for the feedback!

Where are 'Erica's Guidelinds'?

What is the primary factor driving it to such a high CR?

thanks for your time,

Jones

Last edited:

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
"Erica's Method" for determining CR is the one I came up with on my own.

Divide the HD by 2

Add 1 or 2 for each special attack, depending on how powerful

Add 1 of 2 for each special quality, depending on how powerful

Thats it! :)

Gish Makai

First Post
DnDChick said:
"Erica's Method" for determining CR is the one I came up with on my own.

Divide the HD by 2

Add 1 or 2 for each special attack, depending on how powerful

Add 1 of 2 for each special quality, depending on how powerful

Thats it! :)

I usually only add 1 for each.

Da Man

Explorer
So, you think CR 6 is about right?

It seems pretty high, but I suppose its ability to attack twice and the ranged tongue attack could present a problem.

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Da Man said:
So, you think CR 6 is about right?

It seems pretty high, but I suppose its ability to attack twice and the ranged tongue attack could present a problem.

And its hit dice play the biggest factor.

The thing about CR is that its not at all etched in stone. If you think CR6 is too high, by all means leave it at 5. The only way to really gauge a CR is through thorough play-testing.

Krishnath

First Post
I just tested the CR calulation from the "official" creature creation document (The Dragon Article) and came up with a CR of 7 for the creature.

Da Man

Explorer
Ok, then it obviously must at least be a 6. I think I shall start it there and keep and be prepared to move it to 7 if I have to.

I really appreciate all the help and advice.

Thanks,

Jones

Last edited:

Remove ads