• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Magic of Believing

Empath Negative

First Post
I think he's more looking for magic that is powered by courage. As in actual magic.

You may not cast spells... but you do gain the benefits.

For example... a witchunter may have such unwaivering focus that they dispel as a gaze, and are constantly surrounded by an antimagic field.... or at least a field that makes it extraordinarily difficult for casters to cast any spells at all.

radja

First Post
“Morale is the state of mind. It is steadfastness and courage and hope. It is confidence and zeal and loyalty. It is elan, esprit de corps and determination.”--- General George Catlett Marshall

In less cynical times many soldiers were taught that courage and high morale made them less vulnerable and helped them win fights. I am thinking that in a magical world some protective magic might be based on the recipient's courage and belief. A warrior would scorn armour and protective devices and put his faith in his own courage and gain real protection from it, but would lose it if he hesitated or acted scared in combat. Not sure how this would work in the game. Thoughts?

this reminded me of the 2nd edition cleric spell solipsism.
basically it's a reversed illusion: you automatically believe your own spell, everyone else gets to save (ofcourse allies will choose to miss their save).

basically: cleric casts solipsism to create an unreal bridge across a chasm. enemies realize it's an illusion and think: "Ha! you won't fool me! that's not even a real bridge!"
cleric calmly crosses the bridge to the other side, followed by allies (chanting: "I believe! I believe!").

I don't think it ever made it into 3rd edition.

Shaghayegh

First Post
this reminded me of the 2nd edition cleric spell solipsism.
basically it's a reversed illusion: you automatically believe your own spell, everyone else gets to save (ofcourse allies will choose to miss their save).

basically: cleric casts solipsism to create an unreal bridge across a chasm. enemies realize it's an illusion and think: "Ha! you won't fool me! that's not even a real bridge!"
cleric calmly crosses the bridge to the other side, followed by allies (chanting: "I believe! I believe!").

Yes, excepts its like "I believe my painted on armour is real, go ahead, hit me!" and a weapon bounces off the warrior's chest...

Wyvernhand

First Post

It was, but not quite as cool as that. Its in SpC, is 7th level, and is basically a save or lose spell. It makes the target (not you) believe that EVERYTHING around you is an illusion, and isn't worth paying attention to. You basically make no effort to defend yourself, even if you take a greatsword to the face. You aren't exactly helpless (no CDGs), but might as well be.

Basically, a Will save Finger of Death with some cleanup required that trades the [Death] descriptor for the [Mind Affecting] descriptor.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Heroes of Battle has Morale and Rally checks, but those only pertain to how well you respond to fear.

Commander Auras (from the same book) which grant bonuses based upon how many and how well you lead, are simmilar to what you're talking about but are not magical, nor as powerful as I think you're describing, but may be something you can look at and adjust to your liking.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Did not 2E have a morale rating for monsters? What happened to that? Hmm... You could give points based on actions that show the character is behaving bravely and let them be added to AC and saves a percentage of the time, so some faith and luck are involved. If the character does something that shows a lack of faith in his protection then it fails against the next attack...

KerlanRayne

Explorer
This reminds me of Valendo's ability from Defenders of Daybreak. He could pick something that was real and treat it as if it was an illusion. Handy if you pick something extremely dangerous.

Shaghayegh

First Post
This reminds me of Valendo's ability from Defenders of Daybreak. He could pick something that was real and treat it as if it was an illusion. Handy if you pick something extremely dangerous.

Was there not a 2E psionic power that let you ignore the existence of an object or creature? What was that called? I think it was in The Will & The Way...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads