• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The LONG wait ends - 'Girl Genius Sourcebook and Roleplaying Game - Powered by GURPS' has been released!

(...In PDF. A physical release is getting the Kickstarter treatment at a later date).

Yes! After nineteen years of waiting, the GURPS-based adaptation of Phil & Kaja Foglio's seminal Steam- er, Gaslamp Fantasy webcomic series to tabletop gaming!

Offical News Post: Daily Illuminator: Do The Impossible With The Girl Genius Sourcebook And Roleplaying Game!

Girl_Genius_cover.jpg

Maybe the Folgios really liked that GURPS Third Edition adaptation of Castle Falkenstein?

Actually, an alt-setting for THAT game would have worked for GG, as well.

aramis erak

Legend
SJG lost my money at "GURPS"...
Phil Foglio seems to like SJG, and has written for GURPS himself...

But I am not about to run any more GURPS, probably ever. Too much hassle factor. And too much, "bend it to fit GURPS" instead of "Bend GURPS to do the setting right"...

Last edited:

Tantavalist

Explorer
Despite the name GURPS is very much not a universal system. There are things that I've found it does reasonably well but light-hearted action comedy isn't one of them. I thought it was the wrong system for Girl Genius when the game was first announced and I was sort of hoping the long delay meant it was never going to happen and something else would be used for the license.

Having read GURPS Discworld and seen what a mess that was as it tried to make Pratchett's world fit the GURPS rules... No, this won't work. There will of course be GURPS fans who claim otherwise and insist they're making it work fine just like they have with GURPS Discworld. And as with Discworld they just won't grasp that they're so familiar with GURPS the system has become transparent to them and doesn't really register in play, and that the fun they're having was in spite of the GURPS system and not because of it.

This isn't specifically a dig at GURPS players because I've seen it with other crunch-heavy systems too. People who play them regularly are so familiar with them that the mechanics no longer slow play down and it runs like a rules-lite game for them. And they can't see why anyone else would have trouble and not be willing to put in the effort to get to that same point or that there might be a system that does anything better than adapting what they like. All GURPS writers and GMs seem to be in that category for GURPS.

Sorry if this turned into a rant. I'm just anticipating the responses that experience has taught me GURPS fans will have whenever someone says that GURPS isn't the right system to run something.

Depending on the price I may end up getting this anyway. Despite my feelings about the GURPS ruleset I've got a fair number of GURPS sourcebooks because they tend to be pretty well researched and written, making them ideal reference material for running a game with another system.

Argyle King

Legend
Despite the name GURPS is very much not a universal system. There are things that I've found it does reasonably well but light-hearted action comedy isn't one of them. I thought it was the wrong system for Girl Genius when the game was first announced and I was sort of hoping the long delay meant it was never going to happen and something else would be used for the license.

Having read GURPS Discworld and seen what a mess that was as it tried to make Pratchett's world fit the GURPS rules... No, this won't work. There will of course be GURPS fans who claim otherwise and insist they're making it work fine just like they have with GURPS Discworld. And as with Discworld they just won't grasp that they're so familiar with GURPS the system has become transparent to them and doesn't really register in play, and that the fun they're having was in spite of the GURPS system and not because of it.

This isn't specifically a dig at GURPS players because I've seen it with other crunch-heavy systems too. People who play them regularly are so familiar with them that the mechanics no longer slow play down and it runs like a rules-lite game for them. And they can't see why anyone else would have trouble and not be willing to put in the effort to get to that same point or that there might be a system that does anything better than adapting what they like. All GURPS writers and GMs seem to be in that category for GURPS.

Sorry if this turned into a rant. I'm just anticipating the responses that experience has taught me GURPS fans will have whenever someone says that GURPS isn't the right system to run something.

Depending on the price I may end up getting this anyway. Despite my feelings about the GURPS ruleset I've got a fair number of GURPS sourcebooks because they tend to be pretty well researched and written, making them ideal reference material for running a game with another system.

🤷‍♂️

I'm one of the people you mention.

Personally, I find that GURPS functions more intuitively than a lot of contemporary D&D.

I can't speak on behalf of Discworld, but I've run/played D&D settings using GURPS and found them to be better. I've also run Supers games, a game based on professional wrestling, and a few other things.

I do think there are things which are tough to do without better knowledge of the system, but I would also say that a lot of negative stereotypes about the system are things I found to be grossly untrue -even when I was brand new to the system.

darjr

I crit!
As a point of order GURPS books have been fantastic for gaming material regardless of the rules content.

Also this is a “powered by GURPS” book which is kinda a mini GURPS, the other rules are not needed. Finally I find GURPS fairly easy to flip to FATE, or even Savage Worlds.

I think I’ll get this, in part because it’s been in the works for decades, and I’ve been kinda waiting for it, but also in part to use in other systems.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Not a huge fan of GURPS, personally- I’m a big HEROphile- but I respect it. I have a 2Ed core rulebook from when I was in a group that played a lot of it, and have picked up a couple of sourcebooks for their sheer utility, like Martial Arts...which I use as guides for working things out in other systems.

All that said, I might pick up GG ‘cause I was a fan of the early books, but I have no intention of ever running GURPS in the foreseeable future. So it would likely be another “resource “ book purchase for me.

Remove ads