• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
giphy.gif
Okay, LARP-time it is!

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Have to admit, much as I like Traveller I wouldn't go that far myself. Wasn't thrilled with TNE, nor with T4, and even less so with T20. The IP's still got a good track record but it's had some disappointments as well.
Of all of the post-MegaTraveller/pre-Mongoose Travellers, I did like the effort SJG took with GURPS Traveller.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Thank you for validating one of my pet peeves. In my industry it is common to see vendors using the word funnel and funnel graphics to explain how there great new software platform will better filter your ocean of data get you to the valuable and actionable information you need. SO JUST CALL IT A FILTER!
Probably for the same reason people in corp-talk say “utilize” instead of “use”. It sounds more important but it’s ultimately pointless.

Of all of the post-MegaTraveller/pre-Mongoose Travellers, I did like the effort SJG took with GURPS Traveller.
Even including the all GDW editions it's somewhere in my personal top three or four, and I don't even consider myself that big of a GURPS fan. I give them a lot of credit for just flat-out saying "no, that never happened" to the metaplot that started in MT and led to TNE, which was pretty bold at the time.

Staffan

Legend
Even including the all GDW editions it's somewhere in my personal top three or four, and I don't even consider myself that big of a GURPS fan. I give them a lot of credit for just flat-out saying "no, that never happened" to the metaplot that started in MT and led to TNE, which was pretty bold at the time.
Wasn't that part of the whole raison d´être of GURPS Traveller in the first place? Not just an alternate system, but also a non-destroyed Third Imperium setting?

Wasn't that part of the whole raison d´être of GURPS Traveller in the first place?
Sort of, but that still meant SJG was taking a chance on the existing late-90s fan base wanting to play in an unfamiliar system rather than going with Imperium's T4 rules (which were closer to Classic Traveller) or just continuing to use one of the earlier GDW systems in whatever setting they liked. The community had been getting increasingly divided for years at that point and it was a little hard to guess where people would jump if presented with multiple simultaneous new options. Milieu Zero could have been a big hit itself and left SJG with a much smaller piece of the pie, or folks might have rejected GURPS as a system for being too different.

As it worked out, there were a lot of people who were happy to get new material that started up right at Strephon's assassination (or lack thereof, for GURPS) and resume playing in a comfortably nostalgic intact 3rd Imperium. Kind of confirmed that a lot of the fan base saw that setting as the heart of Traveller and had either never adopted or checked out on the metaplot that led to the Rebellion-Virus-TNE timeline. I suspect a fair amount of GURPS Traveller stuff got bought to be converted to one of the GDW Traveller engines, but that still sells books and the game has always been known for the utility and quality of its setting materials.

Didn't hurt that T4 was a serious dud, with major quality control issues and a mayfly lifespan, which choked off whatever potential Milieu Zero had. Lovely covers and interior art (what there was of it) but that's the best I can say for it.

Interesting to imagine a might-have-been where Miller insisted on Imperium doing a "let's ignore the assassination" reset setting (resetting?) but offered SJG a license to develop Milieu Zero instead. Hard to say what the outcome would have been if nothing else were changed, but I bet that timeline would have a much more detailed Traveller history around the founding of the Imperium.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
I ran a 15-year-long Traveller Hero campaign, using the Traveller Hero products for stats but the GURPS Traveller stuff for fluff (when I needed to flesh out stuff from my Classic Traveller stuff). I have no complaints! I ran many CT scenarios, plus Mongoose's Secrets of the Ancients (from back when it was a series of blog posts), modified with a hefty dose of Frederik Pohl's Gateway series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads