• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
I will rate myself 10/10 Dragons. I will hoard all the forums homebrew for my collection.

1716231704957.jpeg

I am now at the age that when someone says "I have been doing this job for over 10 years," I silently think "oh, so you're just starting to figure out what the heck you're doing; good for you."
Let's face it, with a lot of people they got as good as they're ever going to be at their job within five years or so and will sit on that skill plateau until they die, retire, or stop caring and manage to get worse. Also note that "as good as they're going to be" does not imply actual competence, nor does it rule out further promotions.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Let's face it, with a lot of people they got as good as they're ever going to be at their job within five years or so and will sit on that skill plateau until they die, retire, or stop caring and manage to get worse. Also note that "as good as they're going to be" does not imply actual competence, nor does it rule out further promotions.
Yeah, I've worked with several people who had clearly stopped giving a crap about getting better at their jobs decades before retirement. I would go insane just plateauing and not trying harder or learning new things, but it takes all types, I guess.

Why in blazes are we calling these things funnels? You know, the adventures where you take a bunch of utterly unqualified characters and shove them through a dangerous situation until most of them die (often hilariously) and then the survivors get to be real PCs from then on? Essentially a winnowing process for aspiring adventurers, most popular in the more DCC-flavored parts of the OSR community.

That's not how a funnel works. If I pour thirty ounces of a substance into my funnel I'd better get thirty ounces out of it, not four with rest being eaten by monsters. It's not even a meat grinder, where I still expect to get about two pounds of ground beef out if I shove two pounds of chuck in. The terminology is all wrong.

This is really alluvial mining here. You're panning for player characters. The dungeon isn't a funnel, it's a mining sluice, disposing of the hopeless sand and unlucky gravel and leaving you a precious handful of viable PCs. It's just using the blood of its victims instead of water to do the job, which is a mental image I'm sure funnel-lovers would appreciate.

So no more funnels. Let's start seeing modules like "Blood Sluice of the Gore Mages" and debates about whether sluices are a terrible idea or not and whether the whole concept is truly Old School or modern parody based on faux nostalgia. :)

Yeah, I've worked with several people who had clearly stopped giving a crap about getting better at their jobs decades before retirement. I would go insane just plateauing and not trying harder or learning new things, but it takes all types, I guess.
I think I'd probably just move on rather than do that. Never liked getting too settled and working the grind - although I've also never been offered enough (in terms of both cash and security) to really be tested. Last I counted I've outlived twelve employers over the last ~40 years, and I've gotten pretty good at spotting when it's time to get out.

"Bankruptcy senses...tingling! Must send resume!"

Ryujin

Legend
Why in blazes are we calling these things funnels? You know, the adventures where you take a bunch of utterly unqualified characters and shove them through a dangerous situation until most of them die (often hilariously) and then the survivors get to be real PCs from then on? Essentially a winnowing process for aspiring adventurers, most popular in the more DCC-flavored parts of the OSR community.

That's not how a funnel works. If I pour thirty ounces of a substance into my funnel I'd better get thirty ounces out of it, not four with rest being eaten by monsters. It's not even a meat grinder, where I still expect to get about two pounds of ground beef out if I shove two pounds of chuck in. The terminology is all wrong.

This is really alluvial mining here. You're panning for player characters. The dungeon isn't a funnel, it's a mining sluice, disposing of the hopeless sand and unlucky gravel and leaving you a precious handful of viable PCs. It's just using the blood of its victims instead of water to do the job, which is a mental image I'm sure funnel-lovers would appreciate.

So no more funnels. Let's start seeing modules like "Blood Sluice of the Gore Mages" and debates about whether sluices are a terrible idea or not and whether the whole concept is truly Old School or modern parody based on faux nostalgia. :)
I really don't like games in which your character can die in the creation process, even when it's via game play. If I'm playing that character then they obviously survived. Traveller, and one other SF RPG that I can't currently remember the name of, both seemed to have that mechanic. In the one that I can't name my character, that I was building as the party's primary fighter, ended up having some sort of congenital illness that made him small and weak, all via dice rolls.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads