• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Staffan

Legend
Oh, definitely not worth it. Even though I was under with gas, at the time, I have a clear memory of the dentist standing on a little stool next to the chair and using a chisel to break apart my horizontally impacted lower Wisdom Teeth, so they could be removed. The pain got through both the gas and the injections.
When I had my wisdom teeth removed, local anasthesia was enough, but it felt so weird. Like, I'm feeling the impact in the rest of my body as things crack and such, but nothing where the actual surgery was going on.

Mad_Jack

Legend
You know what would make everyone happy?

Drag queens.

As a pizza topping? I dunno...

Oh, definitely not worth it. Even though I was under with gas, at the time, I have a clear memory of the dentist standing on a little stool next to the chair and using a chisel to break apart my horizontally impacted lower Wisdom Teeth, so they could be removed. The pain got through both the gas and the injections.

I'm fairly certain that my dentist learned his trade from the KGB.
On an unrelated note, the anesthetic always seems to wear off right in the middle of the procedure whenever I'm having dental work done.

One time I got a double root canal, then walked a mile across town to run a meeting. Maybe y'all are just built different :p

I always used to schedule my root canals so that I could come into work in the morning, get some stuff done, then leave for the appointment and be back to work by the end of my regular lunchbreak.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
When I had my wisdom teeth removed, local anasthesia was enough, but it felt so weird. Like, I'm feeling the impact in the rest of my body as things crack and such, but nothing where the actual surgery was going on.
I think it can only attest to the great state of my wisdom teeth how easy they came out. It was like zip zip onto the next. Funny enough, one tooth took 4 zips which amounted like an additional 5 seconds. On the bill it was written up as "extra hard to extract". Since most folks are knocked out they probably dont witness such and find out just what a scam the billing is.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Was he an smoker trying to quit, or an ex-smoker? Sometimes they're more comfortable with something shoved in their mouth that they can fiddle with now and then, supposedly it helps the cravings by roughly emulating muscle memory. Not really any worse than using a pen (which is what my quitter was doing) and better than sucking on a lollipop or something (which has calorie and sugar issues if you do it for hours every day).
Not sure, but that would make sense.
Not exactly, but those examples started off as somewhat specialized lingo that was confined to specific professions. I would have thought they'd spread to general vocabularies by now and ceased being notable, but some folks change more slowly than others and some flinch about biological-sounding words ("ingest") easily. I must confess I'd probably raise an eyebrow if someone described their work as "excreting content for youtube" or something - and then go adopt the term for my own usage. :)
"Excreting content for You Tube" seems like a very apt turn of phrase.
Assuming shared "normality" in vocabulary is always a little fraught. I still recall sitting at a table full of gamer friends, alll native English speakers and three of whom were various types of engineers. When I described the movement of a piece as "orthogonal" none of them knew what it meant and "it moves like a rook in chess" wasn't a good enough explanation for two of them. I was accused of showing off, of all things - which is absolutely the worst way to get me to dumb down my speech patterns one bit.
I knew a lawyer who worked in the compliance department at an engineering firm and his boss told him that his "pretentious" language was turning people off. I find it rich that an engineer would lecture anyone on overuse of specialized language. I work in legal tech, so I've had one foot in tech and one foot in law for most of my working life. I think I've carved out a fairly well-paid niche for myself just by being able to talk to both groups. Some days it feels like I'm more of an interpreter than a project manager.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Yeah, local anasthesia is freaky. My wife had to have an emergency c-section with my first son. She described being able to feel the tension of her skin being pulled on, especially when they were sewing her back up, but not any pain.

Remove ads