• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
giphy.gif

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Really depends on the kind of meeting we're talking about. Technically speaking, both trysts and assignations are defined as meetings. :)

Of course, I suppose we could be reading too much into it. Maybe "bedtime activities" just refers to brushing and flossing your teeth, right?
I had a co-worker who used to brush his teeth at his desk. I don't mean quickly brushing after lunch. The was no tooth paste involved. He would just sit at his desk with his tooth brush in his mouth, occasionally brushing his teeth with it. Like, for hours. Annoyed me at first, but I got used to it. Still was kinda weird.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Not really related to this forum at all, but I had someone tell me that they were annoyed with the phrase "consume content." I found that weird, but then I remember a few years ago when I was talking to a non-IT co-worker about a project where I was processing data and loading it into a database. It is very common in my industry to use the phrase "ingesting data", but when I said that, she asked if I could avoid saying it because it sounded "gross." I had to try to remember to reword to something like "process and import" every time I talked to her about the work. It was weird and annoying, but not worth getting stubborn about.

Anyone else ever run into something similar?

I had a co-worker who used to brush his teeth at his desk. I don't mean quickly brushing after lunch. The was no tooth paste involved. He would just sit at his desk with his tooth brush in his mouth, occasionally brushing his teeth with it. Like, for hours. Annoyed me at first, but I got used to it. Still was kinda weird.
Was he an smoker trying to quit, or an ex-smoker? Sometimes they're more comfortable with something shoved in their mouth that they can fiddle with now and then, supposedly it helps the cravings by roughly emulating muscle memory. Not really any worse than using a pen (which is what my quitter was doing) and better than sucking on a lollipop or something (which has calorie and sugar issues if you do it for hours every day).
Anyone else ever run into something similar?
Not exactly, but those examples started off as somewhat specialized lingo that was confined to specific professions. I would have thought they'd spread to general vocabularies by now and ceased being notable, but some folks change more slowly than others and some flinch about biological-sounding words ("ingest") easily. I must confess I'd probably raise an eyebrow if someone described their work as "excreting content for youtube" or something - and then go adopt the term for my own usage. :)

Assuming shared "normality" in vocabulary is always a little fraught. I still recall sitting at a table full of gamer friends, alll native English speakers and three of whom were various types of engineers. When I described the movement of a piece as "orthogonal" none of them knew what it meant and "it moves like a rook in chess" wasn't a good enough explanation for two of them. I was accused of showing off, of all things - which is absolutely the worst way to get me to dumb down my speech patterns one bit.

Remove ads