• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

One of those days when seeing the things people will rush to defend around here has me like...

GMCXJDYXgAA7FFj.jpg

Thomas Shey

Legend
If both or either of those were even close to being easy for most people. I mean "talk to your fellow players like adults" makes a, shall we say, extremely generous assumption about how adults interact in the world all the time just by itself, let alone people agreeing on what "makes sense in the fiction" on a regular basis...

We haven't had one of theses in a while so:

Welcome to Bob's Big Boy​

ys0vv1g0r9zc1.jpeg

Order what you want, i'm paying.
One of the local diners was built in the early 1970s and has its original menus hung in a few spots around the place. Not quite as cheap, but close. They're still pretty inexpensive to keep their senior citizen customer base, but I think it's slowly killing them - they've massively curtailed their hours lately and the place is starting to look rather shabby.

I prefer the slightly newer (but more pricey) place that's decorated entirely in WW2 memorabilia, including period music playing all the time and (up until a few years) back an AFV or halftrack parked out front on display.

I assume there is a Big Boy statue up front? If so, I'll go in and order. If not, I don't trust it.

View attachment 362121
I was reading a nearly Ron Goulart novel the other day that had a brief side scene involving a Big Boy statue that had fallen into the surf following an earthquake. One of his odd semi-dystopian pieces where the US basically falls apart and balkanizes into micro-states somewhere in around 2000AD, mostly as a setup for his sardonic protags to run around encountering weirdness while playing gumshoe detective/secret agent. His early scifi has the strangest tone, never been able to define why it appeals to me.

Appropos of nothing, I found a Chef Boy-R-Dee statuette at a thrift store years ago that's been serving as table scenery for miniatures games ever since. Stands about 40' tall in 28mm scale. I should really use it in a supers RPG game one of these days.

Never did stumble on a similar Big Boy statue, sadly.

Totally not here.

Whippomorpha is my favorite recently discovered word.
I knew artiodactyl already, but that's a new on me. Pretty widely useful word too, it passes the "can I use it in relation to a Kamandi cover?" test with flying colors.

Revenge of the Whippomorph!
23-1.jpg

So, would the construction be "whippothropes," then, for beefy, do-not-mess-with-them, most-deadly-shapechanger-in-fantasy-Africa?
That is an alarming prospect on many levels, and is arguably even worse in coastal areas than riverine Africa. Were-hippos are scary but I wouldn't bet on one against a were-orca at all.

Remove ads