• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

I owned the RPG and I think all of the adventures. I sent them off to a friend a couple of years ago, to see if it might make for a good Youtube/Twitch game. Hadn't touched them in decades before that.
Yeah, it wasn't great. Not unplayable, and maybe it would have been better received today when people are a little more open to meta elements in RPGs, but it never quite worked for me despite really liking the novels (and R Tal's stuff in general).

Was California Voodoo Game even out when the game dropped? They're both listed as 1992 pub dates, but I can't recall the order I bought them in. The Moon Maze Game was much later, 2011. That might have been a good time for a new edition/adventure or reissue.

Ryujin

Legend
Yeah, it wasn't great. Not unplayable, and maybe it would have been better received today when people are a little more open to meta elements in RPGs, but it never quite worked for me despite really liking the novels (and R Tal's stuff in general).

Was California Voodoo Game even out when the game dropped? They're both listed as 1992 pub dates, but I can't recall the order I bought them in. The Moon Maze Game was much later, 2011. That might have been a good time for a new edition/adventure or reissue.
I've only read the first two novels and don't even remember the plot of the second anymore. Wikipedia implies that "The California Voodoo Game" and the RPG came out in the same year, so were likely in parallel development.

The couple of times that I ran the RPG, as one shots, I did it straight-up without using the meta layering. The friend I sent it to was most interested in the concept of playing a character, who was playing a character, in another game. It sort of fell in line with some of the stuff that Zombie Orpheus was doing in their "The Reliables" streams. Kinda.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
When I think about LitRPG novels for some reason I remember that Philip K Dick wrote Man in the High Castle using the I Ching. I wish there was a version of the novel that included the questions he asked, what he threw, and the answers given in the text. I think it would destroy the narrative flow, but it would be interesting as hell.

Cross section of a road in England
1000000358.jpg

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
As if humans can throw stones about being unfeeling, selfish, environmentally harmful creatures?

So, let us start with a bit of Science Literacy and Critical Reading 101- that article is....
...based on a study that hadn't been published, and therefore not properly reviewed yet.
...is a decade old...
...wasn't updated with new information when the study was published, if it ever was.

In this day and age, we all should, indeed need to know better than to trust this as a source of information.

Oh, look! Weasel words!
"But experiments he and colleagues have conducted at the university's Animal Behaviour Clinic suggest that cats, as a whole, do not love their owners back — at least not in the same way that dogs do."
(emphasis mine)
So, cats don't love you like dogs do. Last time we all checked, cats aren't dogs, right? Why would you expect cats to behave like dogs?
Should we note that your spouse or significant other doesn't behave like a dog does either. So, clearly, they don't love you either!

I could go on. The article is trash.
Yeah. I'm not buying into the article. The same minute's worth of search pulled up plenty of much better journalism and scholarly articles showing the opposite. This was just me making a cheap joke that obviously fell flat.

I try to avoid anthropomorphizing too much, but I personally feel any mammal is capable of building bonds with its human caretaker. I still feel that my pet rat in high school and I had an empathic bond. Not that I've taken the time to read any serious research on that.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I was doing work on toy data and kept have to search online for toys to properly categorize them. I started getting lots of diaper ads.
I pretty much have browser no tracking settings set to the point where they break some sites, have the ghostery plugin active, and a VPN active nearly all the time I'm online. I usually do not even see adds. I feel like I'm missing out on frequent little doses of unintentional humor.

Remove ads