• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Silver Age superhero comics are the best superhero comics.
For some definitions of "best" sure, agreed. There are a lot of historically significant comics, many major creators either start their careers or reach their peak in the era, and personally I think it hits a sweet spot for "utterly gonzo ideas" that the Golden Age books never quite managed despite being even farther-out in a lot of ways.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Other thread.

It’s okay to not have an opinion on things you know nothing about. Like, maybe if you don’t play a particular style of game…maybe, just maybe don’t offer your opinion on them, how they work, what’s wrong with them, etc. The people who do play in that style can tell at a glance that you’re full of it and the people who don’t know any better just might believe the misinformation you’re spreading.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
For some definitions of "best" sure, agreed. There are a lot of historically significant comics, many major creators either start their careers or reach their peak in the era, and personally I think it hits a sweet spot for "utterly gonzo ideas" that the Golden Age books never quite managed despite being even farther-out in a lot of ways.
Yeah. Definitely best in regards to insane gonzo shenanigans. They went even more out there, went into space more, added sci-fi and psychedelics. Absolutely the best as far as I’m concerned.

Yeah. Definitely best in regards to insane gonzo shenanigans. They went even more out there, went into space more, added sci-fi and psychedelics. Absolutely the best as far as I’m concerned.
Overall, certainly. There were a few creators who didn't blossom to Maximum Gonzo until the 70s, which is generally seen as over the line into early Bronze Age.

Kirby (good as he was at Marvel) really flexed on the out-there creativity when he went to DC in 1970 and started up his Fourth World stuff. His short-run series like the Demon, OMAC, and Sandman showed he still had plenty of other arrows in his quiver, and his long run on Kamandi remains my favorite Kirby work overall, which made the last third third of the series more of a disappointment. And then he went back to Marvel and created the Eternals, Devil Dinosaur and Machine Man in between working on old familiar characters.

All of that was done in the Bronze Age - by a creator who started in the Golden Age and kept his Silver Age style throughout his career. His Pacific Comics books were as far-out as anything he ever made in the 60s and 70s, that's for sure.

I've read a lot of Silver Age Comics (including all of Jimmy Olsen and almost all of Marvel), but the vast majority have nothing on the greatest run of Avengers ever. Vol. 1 #164-196, Annuals 7-9, and Marvel Two-in-One Annual 2. (Minus the one or two fill in issues in there). Lead by the creative powers of John Byrne, David Michelinie, George Perez, Jim Shooter, and Jim Starlin.
I'll agree that's one of the strongest Avengers runs ever and loaded with strong stories, but I wouldn't put it ahead of what was going on over in Iron Man during roughly the same span. John Romita Jr. was knocking it out of the park art-wise, and...well, you'll find Michelinie there as well. The most remembered arc was probably the eight issues leading to Demon In A Bottle but even outside of that we were getting some if the best Iron Man ever published - and given what they've doe with Tony since, I doubt we'll ever see anything to match it.

And top marks to Avengers for making Count Nefaria a credible threat and an interesting character for the first time ever, which made the Madame Masque stories in Iron Man much more effective for me.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
1000004645.jpg

Last edited:

Staffan

Legend
I miss when super-hero comic series could actually tell their own stories in peace without continual interruptions from sprawling multi-title "events" and unwanted editorially-mandated crossovers.
I completely agree. In my opinion, comics work best when taking advantage of the serialized format. As others have noted, Chris Claremont's Uncanny X-Men run really perfected the form, with stories being mostly self-contained and still progressing the overall story arcs (I believe Joss Whedon has mentioned Claremont as an inspiration for how the plots worked on Buffy) in a soap-like fashion. It's no accident that Jay Edidin and Miles Stokes of the X-plain the X-Men podcast describe X-Men as "comics' greatest superhero soap opera".

But now, you both have stories being decompressed to the point where anything worthwhile takes three to six issues to do, and then you have invasive mega-events once per year where another six issues get spent on the event plus cleanup. There's no room for the comic's own plot. You also have creative teams with shorter tenures, and shorter runs overall of the comics. So you have a new book, where someone decides there needs to be a team to do A Thing, and recruits some characters to do That Thing. Then they go do A Thing, have some interactions, and then an Event happens. After that, there's the aftermath of the Event, they go on to do a variant of That Thing, and then the book gets canceled.

For example, I've seen a lot of praise for the Krakoa era. But while I acknowledge that it was a fairly brave shake-up of the status quo, and that most of the stuff is done in a competent way, it doesn't speak to me. If I had to put my finger on why, I'd say it's the increasing task force-ification of the X-teams. This is not a new thing in the Krakoa era (I don't know if it was brought in by Morrison or if it was there earlier), but it feels more artificial there. It used to be that the X-Men were a "found family" super-team, where the soap opera shenanigans were as important as the punching. But now, they are (or were – I'm still a bit behind on the Krakoa stuff, but I understand things kind of ended, and did so badly) elected by the population of Krakoa to be the Big Damn Heroes representing them in the larger world. You also have Excalibur being a hand-picked team to deal with magic and Otherworld, instead of survivors who believe the X-Men are dead and are now joining up with Captain Britain and his girlfriend to have weird British and extradimensional adventures. There's also X-Force being the black ops team instead of the evolution of the New Mutants, and X-Factor being a CSI team, though those were "directed" teams long before. Team-mates are now co-workers rather than friends and family, and it all feels soul-less. It is as if the characters are there to fulfill plot requirements rather than the plots flowing from the characters in organic fashions.

I miss Kitty telling child-Ilyana about the Dark Phoenix in the guise of a fairy-tale story (with a much happier ending, and with bamfs). I miss Logan reading Piotr the riot act about how he treated Kitty when they returned from Battleworld, and then tricking him into starting a bar fight with Juggernaut. I miss Scott being in the Savage Land without shaving gear, and seeing his reflection in a pond and realizing that with a mustache he looks a lot like that space pirate he met a while ago. I miss super-powered baseball.

Remove ads