• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Yeah, flat cutting the population, or increasing the resource size, was silly.
What stuck me particularly was how extremely obviously stupid it was, that was what made it so disappointing as a villain motivation. It broke the sort of immersion of the story because it immediately made me start thinking about how ill-educated and/or irrational Thanos would have to be to believe that, and then, when none of these "genius" characters attempted to point this out to him (you'd have thought someone hard-nosed like Tony Stark would have at a dead minimum), it becomes obvious it's the writers who are ill-educated, and suddenly you're thinking about the writers and the writing and the movie stops working.

When I first heard it, I genuinely instantly expected someone to attempt to talk some sense into him, to say "In a hundred years you'll just need to snap again!", and maybe we'd eventually get a revelation that the faux-Malthusian logic was just a smokescreen, like how Hans Gruber in Die Hard pretended to be an ideological terrorist rather than essentially a bank robber (which was very well handled and an arguably early filmic critique of the modern security state, though not a very firm one). But no-one did. And the movies' portrayal of him as this sort of "guy with a noble goal but bad methods" just seemed demented as a result. He didn't have a noble goal, he was a blithering idiot!

Jahydin

Hero
I think his reasoning was the "snap" would be a soft-reset to give others the chance to live more sustainably. If in a hundred years they failed again, he'd just snap again (or double-snap to be extra punishing).

Of course, not sure how the rest of the universe would know what was going on...

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I think his reasoning was the "snap" would be a soft-reset to give others the chance to live more sustainably. If in a hundred years they failed again, he'd just snap again (or double-snap to be extra punishing).

Of course, not sure how the rest of the universe would know what was going on...
Or how they would be able to develop more sustainable methods in the first place, at any reasonable pace, since half the world's research & development teams, half their funding, and half the environmental experts and engineers just died instantly.

Last edited:

Scribe

Legend
Or how they would be able to develop more sustainable methods in the first place, at any reasonable pace, since half the world's research & development teams, half their funding, and half the environmental experts and engineers just died instantly.

I dont think the questions of sustainability are exactly difficult. We just choose the wrong answers because we are greedy, shortsighted and selfish as a species.

Ryujin

Legend
I dont think the questions of sustainability are exactly difficult. We just choose the wrong answers because we are greedy, shortsighted and selfish as a species.
Which doesn't suddenly change of there's twice as much stuff laying around to acquire, because no one owns it anymore.

MarkB

Legend

On the other hand, the ones who had developed decent sustainability methods got snapped right along with everyone else, so it doesn't seem like he was thinking about solutions beyond the immediate.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
They're not exactly simple, either....and we also choose the wrong answers because they're easy, or because we lack understanding.

Remove ads