The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Thomas Shey

Legend
That's "When the Tigers Broke Free," from the movie of The Wall, it does seem as though the name stuck long after muskets had been obviated as military weapons; and "cannonaded colonnades" was a phrase in a song Brian Wilson presented to the Beach Boys when he was trying to get Smile recorded. (if I remember right, Mike Love blew up over it and the lyricist, whose name I've forgotten, quit)

Consider "hoist on your own petard." Phrases sometimes outlive their context like crazy.

That's "When the Tigers Broke Free," from the movie of The Wall, it does seem as though the name stuck long after muskets had been obviated as military weapons...
Most UK (and a fair few other European) military units have "legacy" names referring to troop types, weapons, and even places that haven't been around in centuries. Even today there's the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, an armored infantry formation that's an amalgamation of four other fusilier units with combat histories dating back far enough to have been shooting at rebellious colonists during the War of the American Revolution. Calling their combined service records "extensive" is a gross understatement, and the UK government tries to preserve that heritage even as they shuffle around their organizational charts. I think the current two-battalion formation is actually the smallest number of Royal Fusilier units in UK service since the late 1600s when they were established.

Hussar

Legend
Most UK (and a fair few other European) military units have "legacy" names referring to troop types, weapons, and even places that haven't been around in centuries. Even today there's the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, an armored infantry formation that's an amalgamation of four other fusilier units with combat histories dating back far enough to have been shooting at rebellious colonists during the War of the American Revolution. Calling their combined service records "extensive" is a gross understatement, and the UK government tries to preserve that heritage even as they shuffle around their organizational charts. I think the current two-battalion formation is actually the smallest number of Royal Fusilier units in UK service since the late 1600s when they were established.

Well sure.

Royal Canadian Dragoons is an armoured regiment. At least it’s cavalry I suppose.

(I actually had a guess for both, but had no idea what a fusil was and missed by a bit, but was totally off on colonnade)
This is one time where my background as a historical wargamer paid off. If you've played any kind of black powder or even colonial era game you'll know what a fusil/fusilier is, and I've built enough European-theater terrain with colonnades over the years that I see rows of columns in my nightmares (pro tip: paint the whole thing in pieces, then stick the columns in place and finally add the roof if it isn't going to be removable). :)
That must be why I was think colonnade sounded explosive!
Could have been cannonade, but there's also the possible influence of carronade, which are short-barreled naval cannons from the Age of Sail, used to improve close-range firepower while adding a fraction of the weight of a longer-barreled canon with a similar bore size. Very popular on US ships, and later adopted extensively by the British, both of whom were confident enough of their sailing skills to expect to control the range of engagement most of the time - except against one another. If you've read any Age of Sail fiction (Hornblower, Ramage, etc.) you might have had that one stuck in your subconcious.

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
Re another thread:

438098787_10159492923462312_558151527656092557_n.jpeg

Remove ads