• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas Shey

Legend
dog trick GIF

Its an akita. Probably Japanese at that. They don't have no time for this nonsense.

Thomas Shey

Legend
You know, funny story about LA. I happened to be in town for a day and one of my buddies had moved there. I called him up and was like "Hey, let's hang out". We happened to be about 12 miles apart as the crow flies or something like that. And he declined. Turns out, in LA traffic at that time it would have taken him hours to get to me. My biggest memory of my time there.

Absolutely can be a thing if you're in the wrong parts of it. You really don't want to have to be crossing the downtown area or a couple of others during morning or evening rush hour.

My wife came from Texas, specifically the Houston area, and when I started to explain about Greater Los Angeles traffic, she said "I'm used to traffic. I drive the 35 and 45 all the time." I believe my comment was "You poor sweet summer child."

Ryujin

Legend
Absolutely can be a thing if you're in the wrong parts of it. You really don't want to have to be crossing the downtown area or a couple of others during morning or evening rush hour.

My wife came from Texas, specifically the Houston area, and when I started to explain about Greater Los Angeles traffic, she said "I'm used to traffic. I drive the 35 and 45 all the time." I believe my comment was "You poor sweet summer child."
I'm in a suburb of Toronto, well known for its bad drivers (highest insurance rates in the country). I pretty much have to budget for 45 minutes to go anywhere in this town whether the other side of it, or around the corner. If I'm going across Toronto then it's hours.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I'm in a suburb of Toronto, well known for its bad drivers (highest insurance rates in the country). I pretty much have to budget for 45 minutes to go anywhere in this town whether the other side of it, or around the corner. If I'm going across Toronto then it's hours.

I've never going to claim there can't be places with traffic as bad or worse than L.A. After all, there's a reason no one in their right mind drives in NYC. Its just usually that when I see what's described as "bad traffic" in some places, its sometimes obvious they don't really know what that means.

(To be fair, sometimes this is also an artifact of just not having to deal with distances where they're from. One thing that Texans and California natives have in common is our sense of distance is much more expansive than someone from, say, Connecticut.)

Ryujin

Legend
I've never going to claim there can't be places with traffic as bad or worse than L.A. After all, there's a reason no one in their right mind drives in NYC. Its just usually that when I see what's described as "bad traffic" in some places, its sometimes obvious they don't really know what that means.

(To be fair, sometimes this is also an artifact of just not having to deal with distances where they're from. One thing that Texans and California natives have in common is our sense of distance is much more expansive than someone from, say, Connecticut.)
Luck of the draw, sometimes. There was one time that it took me more than 4 hours to get home from work. At the time I worked less than 10 Kmh from home. Every N-S road within 5 Kmh and one major E-W road between my home and work had collisions on them. The road I usually travelled runs along the west side of the Toronto Airport, so there was no way to go east and get around.

There was a guy here in Los Angeles that played with one of my groups for a while. He would sit and fully pay attention to the game while simultaneously painting figures of such quality that he made good money selling them. He'd finish one or two a session. Meanwhile if my stick figure is symmetrical, I'm happy.
I never brought paints to a TTRPG session, but I'll admit to hauling along some figs that needed simple mold line cleanup and the tools to do the work during the usual 30-40 minutes of pre-game chat - didn't need my hands for that. Then again, I did the same thing when riding the bus, sitting around in offices waiting for appointments, etc. Having some mindless busy work with you is never a bad idea.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Luck of the draw, sometimes. There was one time that it took me more than 4 hours to get home from work. At the time I worked less than 10 Kmh from home. Every N-S road within 5 Kmh and one major E-W road between my home and work had collisions on them. The road I usually travelled runs along the west side of the Toronto Airport, so there was no way to go east and get around.

Oh, yeah, if you have to go through chokepoints it almost doesn't matter how close anything is if something goes wrong with those chokepoints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads