• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I’ve often repeated the argument that rpg gaming is about the cheapest hobby you can have.

It’s why I never bitch about the price of a book.
You know it's kind of crazy. I'll sometimes balk at spending $50 on a D&D book that I know will give me years of enjoyment, but won't bat an eyelash at spending $50-$200 on dinner for me and my wife, and that's over in an hour or so.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Oh, I'm quite aware of how many recipe books are blatantly ripped-off ;)
You can’t copyright a list of ingredients or a simple list of steps. You can, however, copyright your life’s story. Which is why most recipe sites and cookbooks include the author’s life story with every…single…recipe.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
But no matter how I measure it, dollar for dollar, TTRPGs give me the most time enjoying the hobby than any other hobby or recreational activity. Even factoring in the fact that I spend much more on it than I "need" to. The only way I can't see that being true for most people is if they are collectors, but collecting-based hobbies, I feel, need different metrics.

All you need for most TTRPGs are a few books (or PDFs), some paper, pencils, maybe some dice, and a kitchen table. But all the "extras" can expand to fit any income. Special printings, software and storage licenses/subscriptions, Patreons, miniatures, terrain, digital assets, premium game aids, game rooms, special gaming tables and chairs that cost more than a decent used car, decor for your gaming space, shelves, physical storage, paid DMs, conventions, professional masseuses for long game sessions (okay, never heard of that IRL, but it's in my if-I-were-stupidly-rich dream), and more.
There are other hobbies out there that have effectively zero cost that you can engage with more often. You probably already engage with some of them, you just like RPGs more, so you perceive the value as being higher. At the end of the day, it's all about preferences. It's not some objective fact. You like this hobby so you're more willing to justify the expenses involved than you are for other hobbies you enjoy less. That doesn't mean the hobby is cheap. It's not. It doesn't mean the hobby is cheap compared to how much you enjoy it. That's an internal to you thing that's not really objectively measurable in any way.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
You know it's kind of crazy. I'll sometimes balk at spending $50 on a D&D book that I know will give me years of enjoyment, but won't bat an eyelash at spending $50-$200 on dinner for me and my wife, and that's over in an hour or so.
When you have kids, you quickly appreciate the affordability of TTRPGs compared to other activities.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Not about this thread or the recent tangents.

Holy crap that’s some epic levels of patience on display there. Don’t intentionally poke people. I know it’s your favorite thing to do, but when someone politely says “stop,” you really should stop.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
There are other hobbies out there that have effectively zero cost that you can engage with more often. You probably already engage with some of them, you just like RPGs more, so you perceive the value as being higher. At the end of the day, it's all about preferences. It's not some objective fact. You like this hobby so you're more willing to justify the expenses involved than you are for other hobbies you enjoy less. That doesn't mean the hobby is cheap. It's not. It doesn't mean the hobby is cheap compared to how much you enjoy it. That's an internal to you thing that's not really objectively measurable in any way.
Well sure, it isn't a cheap as taking a walk around the neighborhood or a day at a local beach.

But compared to most other activities that require me to pay money to engage in, cost per time spent with TTRPGs is hard to beat.

Remove ads