• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Guru

peterka9

Explorer
Some homebrew classes were released last years as a non combat and non magical support. The scholar, from Adventures in Middle Earth, is an official class from a derived d&d 5d book with the same premise.

The Guru teaches skills and features, can heal someone using her faith in herself. Their philosophy tends to forbid violence and instead use meditation to visualize or fascinate.

Attachments

• guru_0_2.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 410
Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Hey -- there are some cool ideas here, and I always appreciate another non-magical class idea.

Here are a few thoughts:
1. Even when the subclass is gained at level 1 (as with Cleric), the main class should determine skills, tools, and all proficiencies, etc. I'd suggest having a list of all the Intelligence and Charisma skills.

2. I'd suggest 3 skill proficiencies to start (like the ranger), with possibly a bonus skill every few levels. I'd also let you take any 3-4 toolkits or languages (possibly individual weapons could also be chosen; see below).

3. Even though you choose to make the Expert non-combat there are a few hints that you still want to build a coll fighter: light armor proficiency means most characters will still need Dex (ugh), and you are including proficiency with longsword and handcrossbow and rapier, with no real rationale. I would suggest light weapons only (though with the possibility of choosing individual weapons instead of toolkits). I'd also suggest finding a non-dex based way to build armor class. Perhaps instead of light armor proficiency, AC can be calculated with 10+INT+CON. Or Light armor proficiency but +INT instead of +DEX. Beak the Dexterity tyranny.

4. It's a bit odd that the Expert doesn't have expertise. I would suggest that at level 3 and every 2 levels after that (or something) the character can gain either +1 skill proficiency, or Expertise in a skill they are already proficient with.

5. Help as a Bonus action is already in the Mastermind, and I think you would be fie letting it work at range (30' to start) from level 1, as with Master of Tactics.

6. I'll admit I don't instantly see how all the small abilities would play. One thought I had while reading it, though, was that there was room for some non-magical cantrip equivalents: Guidance, Resistance, and Blade Ward (for instance) could all be reskinned as non-magical actions that an Expert could take to be a strong support character.

I hope this helps.

peterka9

Explorer
the main class should determine skills, tools, and all proficiencies, etc.

My vision is that the sub-class is the main flavor, not the class. For 5 years, I work on a metaclass concept where the same archetype is shared by several classes. An investigator fighter, rogue, wizard, etc. So, here are smart and charismatic experts- in 2020 we should say "consultants". Like Elementary TV show version of Sherlock Holmes..

AC can be calculated with 10+INT+CON

I agree. Fixed

It's a bit odd that the Expert doesn't have expertise

Expertise is a 1st, 5th and 11th level feature

Help as a Bonus action is already in the Mastermind, and I think you would be fie letting it work at range (30' to start) from level 1, as with Master of Tactics.

The helped creature doesn't have to be 5' away from the foe, so an archer can be helped attacking a foe! But yes, I can change it to 30'.

I can find dozen of concept to fit as sub-class. D&D 3.5 prestige classes may all fit without balance issue if the core class is non martial, non sneak attack-based or spellcasting- based. Balance is first my main concern, cohesion next to it...

Last edited:

peterka9

Explorer
I updated to version 0.3 and renamed it consulting expert, using real world consultants skills as a basic and giving healing powers that come within the recipient, not the healer!

This class is a supporting class. Of course, it is not for those wanting to be the major party damage-dealer. The class is weak in combat as a solo character, as much as any other support character ex: healer. It supports better than any other class out of combat (better than a spell-caster, with no expending of spell slots). In combat, clever use of his help may win the day No spellcasting, supernatural abilities that may count as non magical in D&D but never in a realistic game. It is a chassis for any profession as a sub-class with no might, backstabbing or spellcasting (see d20 Modern Smart, Dedicated and Charismatic heroes and several 3.5 prestige classes for non-combat oriented examples).

Some magic training from multiclassing or a feat may be required for cantrip ranged magic attacks, or strenght or dexterity for physical ranged attacks. This class is not designed to be on front line, so high constitution is not required.

Solution Provider: this is similiar to the bard inspiration, usuable only once a round with no restriction. This is the main class combat ability.

High level ability: Team work extra surge action is of course worthing more for a fighter, a spell-caster or a rogue. Ultimately, it will provide as many surges to the entire party as if this character was a fighter, so it is not OP, just more flexible. Use magic device may offer an extra offensive role to the expert as magic items should be available (at 14th instead of thief 13th level).

Multiclassing: A few levels of fighter may give more defense and damage rating, spellcasting classes may provide useful combat cantrips, especially one with the same favoured ability. Rogues expertise is more useful combined with the skilled feat, since expertise may only be chosen once per skill...

Your opinion ?

Last edited:

G

Guest 6801328

As a Warlord-hater, I have to say I like this approach, and fluff, a LOT more than just about any Warlord I've seen.

For example, I balked at the wording of the "Master Instructor" section, until I realized it only applies to skills where you have expertise, and the target has no proficiency. That works.

(On the other hand, maybe just call it a "Consultant" and leave "Expert" out of it.)

I read quickly, but my gut feel is that you've given it too many abilities too soon, and it might be OP. Hard to know for sure, since it's not just a straight DPR comparison. But it feels to me (having done this myself) like you made a list of all the abilities you thought the class you have, and then it felt like they were all absolutely essential to the concept, so you mashed them all into the first few levels.

An AC of 10 + Int + Prof. bonus is probably too much, especially since they get the rough equivalent of Defensive Duelist for free. I'd go with the other models...Monk and Barbarian...and make it 10 + Int + Dex. Then if they really want to add Prof. bonus as a reaction there's an app...I mean feat...for that.

It would help to tighten up the language so that it reads like official 5e. Check out the SRD style guide.

peterka9

Explorer
(On the other hand, maybe just call it a "Consultant" and leave "Expert" out of it.)

Fine for me.

I read quickly, but my gut feel is that you've given it too many abilities too soon, and it might be OP.

Well, I used my point-based meter and it seems balance. Of course, it is possible to move some abilities to sub-classes, to add another level for archetype features (the 4 levels of roguish archetype features are non-canon, it is a new class chassis). The problem is that I adapted, as a test, existing rogue stuff and Roguish archetype get less features than most other classes.

The originality here is the class, not the sub-classes (I added references!)

An AC of 10 + Int + Prof. bonus is probably too much

Kobold Stew above suggested INT + CON. Maybe INT + WIS, since "wits" fits also with WIS ?

G

Guest 6801328

Kobold Stew above suggested INT + CON. Maybe INT + WIS, since "wits" fits also with WIS ?
Why not Dex? Monk and Barbarian both use it for unarmored defense. The more your abilities build on precedents, the more accepting people will be of the crazy new stuff. Don’t reinvent everything.

peterka9

Explorer
I updated it! Too much to do! Now is it Consultant, version 0.1. Archetypes and Backup Power buffed, lest front-loaded and I changed the archetype feature level to 7!

Attachments

• consultant_0.1.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 374

Remove ads