• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Durability of Trailblazer 1st level characters

Fenris

Adventurer
So I am getting ready to start a trailblazer game (Smugglers Shiv AP using Trailblazer as a PbP). I was thinking of what I wanted to say to about changes from Trailblazer and anticipating players asking about durabilty and power levels since PF characters got a bit of a power boost.

My example i had thought of was a dwarf barbarian with an 18 Con (16 +2 race) that woudl start the game at FIRST level with 34 hit points! (18 Con +12 class HD +4 Con Bonus). That is one tough 1st level character.

I was thinking about the other extreme, how low could you go? I could imagine an elf wizard in 3.5 with 2 HP (4 class HD -2 Con mod). But in TB, if you really really tried to have a fragile character that same elf wizard with the 6 Con would still have 10 HP. Not bad for a sickly character. And more likely he would have HP in the 14-16 range.

What this exercise told me though was that I will not have to take it easy on TB characters. I mean 4 kobolds can be a threat to a normal party in 3.5 or PF. Heck I may even need to boost up some threats to make 1st level challenging! Most importantly is the fact I no longer need to worry about a single fluke roll killing a PC. They can get killed by their own stupid actions as it should be.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Actually, a fluke roll can still kill PCs, but it is a lot less likely.

Example: SRD Standard CR 1/2 Orc Warrior. +4 attack, 2d4+4 damage, 18-20 threat range. AC 13 and hp 5.
He rolls an 18+, for a 22+ attack total. That will hit and threaten a critical hit; he rolls well enough to confirm and will do 4d4+8. That's 12 to 24 damage, which can kill almost anything with a d8 hit die. If a couple of his buddies also connected this round then that PC is likely to drop.
Of course, even -10 doesn't mean the hero is dead, just that he's in a lot of trouble.

But yeah, they is tough. Having the hit points of a character one to three levels higher than they are will do that. Good luck.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads